Toyota Nation Forum banner

JDM 3sfe in Gen 3 Camry 5sfe?

7418 Views 26 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Camdaddy
would that work??
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· VeeZed
2,462 Posts
As 88 said, the 5S ins't better because it's newer. It's simply suited the demands of the time it was created. The 5th Gen S series was more of a torquey, get around engine (in stock form), used in a few cars including Camry and Celica. But, for example, in the Celica, for the performance option, they used a 3S-GTE Gen 2 engine, still a 3rd Gen S series engine, but "updated" and refined.

Also, the 3SFE is used in late model Rav 4's here in Aus, and are very potent engines.

A Rav 4 3SFE, 1999 model i think.

· Where's my boomstick?
4,197 Posts
Yea they used the late 3SFE's here too in the Rav4's probaby up intill the same years/ish.

Now when is someone going to figure out how to put VVT-I on the gen2 camry's 3SFE?

· Grenaded piston
8,546 Posts
Celicas were also available with a 3S-GE. 86 - 89 Celica GTS.

Celica All Trac or GT4 (what its called in Japan) uses a 3S-GTE. Theres 3 generations of Celica All Trac / GT4 (ST165, ST185, and ST205). The ST205 never came to the US.

3S-GTE is still used. Toyota Caldina (ST215).

Tommy said:
Now when is someone going to figure out how to put VVT-I on the gen2 camry's 3SFE?
Get one from a Rav 4 and swap it into your Camry. :D

I'd rather have a 3S-GTE though. Mmmmm... turbo... ;)

· Always Under Construction
94 Camry XLE
924 Posts
i know i'm bringing back up a thread but i HAVE to say something...

Camdaddy, just FYI, u stated that he knows alot about engines from talking to him but for u to make that statement, u also need to have lots of knowledge about engines or else u won't be able to tell the difference between knowledge and BS. Now i'm not saying he isn't knowledgeable, i'm just saying that is why it is hard to get an honest mechanic and not just a mechanic that "sounds knowledgeable" then rips u off b/c u bought the BS...

I've talked to ppl about their own cars (not always Toyotas), but alot of knowledge is interchangeable, and these ppl talk about they're cars and i know its BS...

not a flame, just keeping u safe from headaches and spending money unnesscessarily...

· Registered
1,014 Posts
pfft ask him if he would do a 3sgte swap into my gen 3.5 and how much it would cost for the engine and and swap and if its reasonable ill drive down there and get that shit done to my cam. 550 installed + motor is a heluva deal

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
well I can't say the knowledge of mechanics is great. But I graduated from Lincoln Tech. Which doesn't me much to some but to me I guess I learned most the the basics. I got most of the knowledge of Toyota engines and engines in general through working at garages here and there. I worked at Toyota for 8 months then moved on to an independent shop doing basic maintenance, front end, brakes and alignments. Better pay and less BS from management. Now I am working currently at Sears Auto Center. Because my old shop closed down. Money there is alrite not too bad. It pays bills. I been researching the 5sfe for a few years now. Been on the camryman.org forum for a while been a TN member for a while too. Picking up knowledge here and there. I can say that I am no professional engine rebuilder. So what 88LE explains I sort of got the idea what’s he's talking about. Like anything else 88LE say he's got the wisdom. Ready to be schooled in anything any day cause knowledge is power when it comes to automotive. Its tough for everyone to be on the same page. The guy from the shop I talked to was honest and he knew a lot about the engine. He wrenched before and talking to a retired mechanic they know its hard to find good honest place to get work done. I would of done the swap myself but it would require taking time off from work and then out of a car. And he gave a kick ass warranty for the motor and the labor. Well the swap was done on a 91 mr2 n/a. looking over the jdm 3sfe specs and the us 5sfe specs. its similar. The jdm 3sfe engine was swapped in to the 91 mr2 n/a. Used the jdm 3sfe long block. The heads and block is jdm 3sfe but the exhaust manifold and intake manifold was off the 5sfe. Everything bolts up no problem. I was there watching and getting my hands dirty they day I was off from work. Everything bolts up like the shop owner and mechanic said that was doing the swap. Using the 5sfe intake manifold keeps the car emissions components. the jdm 3sfe bolts up the to 91 mr2 5sfe tranny no problem. I researched online and there quite a few jdm 3sfe out there in MR2's. I don't if anyone from TN has a mr2 with a jdm 3sfe. The engine is in there and the car runs awesome. Much difference between the US 5sfe. Probably due to the fact that it might be a little lighter and that the engine was so much newer. Only has 30K on the JDM 3SFE. the original 5sfe had 150K on it and it spun a bearing. That’s why the swap was done. Looking over the cost of doing a 3sgte swap and finding a good shop to do it here in Chicago is tough. So my friend opted for the jdm 3sfe swap. I am not sure if the JDM 3sfe has ever been placed in a Gen 3 92-94 Camry before. But I might venture in to it. Being a pioneer is always good. Also I am sure there is quite a few built up 3SFE out there. ie turbocharged.......,that just my take on it. who knows what would happen...if I decided on doing the JDM 3sfe in a Gen 3 I would definitely take pictures of it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.