Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of doing a motor swap and putting a 3sge into my celica. I know the Japanese motor has a more aggressive fuel curve and higher compression. I was just wonder if anyone has any first hand experience with this swap. I should be straight forward.

To anyone who has done this where can i pick up a cheap JDM motor and what have you noticed after doing the swap (speed, 1/4's, accelerating).

Also are the guages the same and does the JDM motor have TVIS.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Depends on the 3S-GE

Gen I uses T-VIS
Gen II uses ACIS

also there is a large difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen 3S-GE, I don't have the specifics but there is.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
there is a big difference between first and second gens...anyway, you all ready have a first gen 3sge. you could try just swapping the ecu out. but remember theirs is tuned for high end gas

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to use the first gen version. Just swapping the ecu wont give you full effect since most of the power is made by compression and also the JDM injectors are bigger.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
silverstreakin said:
there is a big difference between first and second gens...anyway, you all ready have a first gen 3sge. you could try just swapping the ecu out. but remember theirs is tuned for high end gas
More fuel does not always equal more power... it's all about induction. As far as I know... the 1st Gen 3SGE's were all the same mechanically regardless of where it came from. It's the ECUs are different and make the different horsepower ratings.

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that the ECUs fuel curve only works with the bigger injectors.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
^
4,197 Posts
There is a guy on the board by the name of Celiboi or somthing like that who had a 4th gen with a stock 2nd gen 3SGE, from what I remember it was an SiR eater.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok I have this swap its very simple actually If I was you just use your harness but the JDM ECU and Engine and that will work :). I did notice a huge bit of power in the low to mid range. Top end felt about the same but since after the swap i didnt have a speed sensor or anything I could take my car to 135 which was fun for once. Wont do it again the car doesnt feel to great up there feels to edgy. But man it makes your car quick as shit I would eat New Gt mustangs :). Ran a few turbo civics and ate them. GSR's. a RSX type S. but I ran a new Z and he ate me off the line 3rd on we was pretty even. But I mean now my engine is shot. Rings are going, I know my compression isnt the same and I got a oil leak somewhere around the back part of the head. Not bad really at all jus a little one. My fault for letting it over heat. But basically Swap will change your car a bit. Its like taking a 7th gen GTS and putting a Lotus Elise ECU in it. Bitch pulls like a mother :) its a new beast after that ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts