Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just bought a 93 4Runner with the 3VZ V6. Supposedly, the previous owner had a JDM 3VZ put in about 9000 miles ago. He took it to a shop for a check up and was told that Japan didn't have the 3VZ and that you couldn't import one from Japan.
Is that true? How would you identify a JDM engine from a USDM engine? Is there some kind of serial number or something that would tell us?
It appears to be in great shape, but we want to know if the previous owner was full of sh** or got scammed by an importer or if it really is a JDM 3VZ.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
i thought 4runners/tacomas used 5vz, not 3vz

and i think there is/was a JDM 3VZ, used in the Windom (sp?)

no idea how to tell a USDM apart from a JDM, sorry:(

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
JDM has no EGR while US does. that's pretty much all. JDM is tuned a lil more for more HP but you can't tell by looking at it

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,630 Posts
Umm.....by looking whether the driving side is on the right? Then it's probably a JDm engine inside. :disappoin

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
02RSX90camry said:
i thought 4runners/tacomas used 5vz, not 3vz

and i think there is/was a JDM 3VZ, used in the Windom (sp?)

no idea how to tell a USDM apart from a JDM, sorry:(
from all the comments i read..this one seems to be the 'most' accurace from what i know..why would anyone put a 3vz in a 4runner? thats like a swap downwards...

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
i know they made 3vz motors for camry's up until 1996 cause then they switched to 1mz

i believe they switched in 1994. because i know gen 3.5 have 1MZ, not 3VZ.

and i just saw a friend's 94, and there's a cover that specifically says 1mz-fe

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
02RSX90camry said:

the 94s is still a Gen.3, the 95s were 3.5...

as for putting in a jdm 3vz, it kinda (i hate to bring it back up) sounds like the situation that one of our members had, concerning a jdm 3sfe that turned out to be a "regular" run of the mill 5sfe...

so, if you can get any more info on this, we'll try and help...

take pics if you can, you never know..

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
the engine in the 4runner is a 3.0 liter single cam 3vz-e, and is different from the twin cam 3vz-fe gen3 camry and whatever gen windom. dunno if they had the 3vz-e in japan, but that generation 4runner came with the 3vz-e here in the states.

ive also seen some 3vz-fe engines on ebay that claim to be jdm. there are also 3vz-e tranny's that claim to be jdm. dunno if those are real either.

anyway i hope i helped in some way. if not, then feel free to use the slap emoticon

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
yeah the 3VZ-FE came in older gen 4Runners, its the engine that's in my mom's '92 4Runner, she has 4WD as well.

take a pic & i'll be able to tell you whether its a JDM motor or not...sounds like its just a regular USDM motor to me though but :dunno: till i could see some pics

Keri

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, didn't know the camry 3vz had dohc. I thought they were the same as the truck engine.
88-95 had the 3vz, and 96 up has the 5vz for those who care.
The only difference we can see between his "jdm" engine and mine is that his has japanese writing on it and no english, and mine has english writing on it. Other than that, it looks identical.
The egr stuff is on the exhaust manifold, not the head, and that is the only way I knew to tell the difference. Either way, it looks to have been replaced at some point and has great compression with less than 8psi difference from the highest to the lowest, so I guess we'll just forget about whether it's JDM or not.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
02RSX90camry said:

In japan they didn't have the 1mz till 96 up until then they all came with 3vz motors.

my usdm 94 camry has a 1mzfe i know but the motor i got was from a jdm 98/99 non vvti car. your friend has a usdm motor in his usdm car. they tested the motors on the us car first to see how they acted.

as for the motor that was supposedly jdm but isn't who cares aslong as it runs right and works. most of the things that are different on jdm motors are on the top of the motor any ways. if it doesn't have problems than your good.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
In japan they didn't have the 1mz till 96 up until then they all came with 3vz motors.
My 1994 Es300 came with a 1mzfe !

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
:slap: i said japan in japan they didn't use that motor till 95/96 i think i have a buddy over there and he has a 94 with a 3vz
you didn't say use..you said HAVE

:slap: ok ok peace! :hi:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts