1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first of all happy easter :D
second...my question:
I bought and installed JDM halo lights similar to the ones that most have on their 2000 camrys about a year ago, and now one of the rings (halos) flickers or stops working altogether, i suspect its that little black box connected to it but what is it if it is indeed that? any help would be appreciated, thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 Camry
219 Posts
Can you unhook your wires, and then connect the two wires to a constant 12 volt DC power source to see if maybe one of your contacts is corroded?

I used a 12 volt DC adapter when I first got my lights to test the halo ring.

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, but i doubt its the contacts...i will try however ill let you know once i do tho. btw do these lights use a transformer or something for the halos?

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks for your help, ill try a couple things out and let you know what happens

·
D.I.Y.'er since 2004
2000 Camry LE
227 Posts
I had the same headlights before I modified them with brighter LEDs. My best guess would be that the "black box" is crapping out, or they used cheap LEDs and those are dying.
If you have a voltmeter and can expose a bit of wire after the black box, check for constant voltage. If theres fluctuation, the box is dying. If power is good, then the LEDs are most likely dying.
If the black box turns out to be dead, I'd cut out the black box and put in a resistor, what ohm is something you'll have to figure out to match the LEDs.

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
220 Posts
Im just curious..
What is in the black box?

·
D.I.Y.'er since 2004
2000 Camry LE
227 Posts
Im just curious..
What is in the black box?
I'm not 100% sure what's in these, but typically with LED setups for 12Volt automotive applications, there's probably a voltage regulator to keep constant power flow to the LEDs so they last longer and resistors so the LEDs don't blow out from too much power; if they're really good, they'll have diodes to control electricity flow so it doesn't interfere with the car's electical flow when we tap the car's wires.
It's a pretty good size box filled in with potting to keep it air/water proof and acts a heatsink, so hopefully it has all those parts but it's only as good as the parts they used.

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i did check my connections and it wasnt that...but in the process i short circuit the two wires together and now both halos dont work at all, im sure i blew something but not too sure what it was. I thought it was the relay dimmer any one know? Im going to replace the black box as soon as i get the chance to im pretty sure they're giving way. As for both halos not working, anyone have a clue as to what fuse i blew?

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found the fuse, it was the parking light fuse. replaced it and found out whats wrong with the lights...the LEDs are goners, so i have ot replace them. DxElite did u post a DIY on replacing the LEDs?

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh forgot to mention that since one of my "black boxes" was working i swapped it over to the other side and the halo still didnt work thats how i ended with the LED not working conclusion :D

·
D.I.Y.'er since 2004
2000 Camry LE
227 Posts
I don't have a DIY for replacing the LEDs. Sorry I didn't take any pictures when I opened mines to modify.
You'll need to have some replacement LEDs ready and some basic knowledge on how to solder and LEDs. I also recommend some heat shrink to cover the wires.

1) You'll have to open the headlights to get access to the LEDs, http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t136335.html this is a good DYI for HID retrofit, but has good directions for opening the headlights.
Just need to add that you have to remove 2 metal clips that are on the sides of the headlights that hold the lense on.
2) After you have them opened, the LEDs are in the halo plastic ring that is clipped into the circle on the removeable black plastic insert; on the backside you'll see the clips and just pop those out to get to the LEDs.
3) With the ring off, on the back at the bottom you'll see the LEDs with the wires going to them. They're probably glued in and you'll have to carefully dig them out, try not to damage the plastic halo while doing so.
4) After you have the LEDs out, take a look at which colored wire goes to the flat side of the LED and setup your new LEDs to match the old LEDs.
Make sure the positive goes to the positive and the negative to the negative. I recommend you do as pictured below and bend the LED leads 90 degrees and twist matching leads together. One is longer than the other so just make sure you twist the same length leads together.

5) Cut the wires from the old LEDs and strip them about 1/2" and twist them to your new LEDs.
Test the LEDs with the car battery just to make sure it works before soldering them together by using the wires from the black box as if they were installed.
If they don't turn on, try swapping the wires around, it won't damage the LEDs if the wires are on the wrong lead.
After testing them take the wires off and slide on some strips of heat shrink. Put the wires back on and solder them, check once more with the battery to make sure they work and then put the heat shrink over the soldered wires and seal them.
6) Put everything back in reverse order and reinstall.

Let me know if you need anything to be clarified or explained.

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those instructions are perfect dude, thanks for all your help. i dont have much time to do this now since my study break is over but as soon as i try it ill let you know if i have any trouble. Thanks again

·
Registered
'01 Camry V6 LE (MT)
77 Posts
I need some help as well...

I didn't want to pollute the forums by posting another thread for a related issue. I just ordered a set of the JDM black halo headlights and I didn't think I was going to have a problem with anything until I looked at the wiring and thoroughly confused myself. They of course didn't come with any instructions, as per typical ebay fashion...

So, I have the red and white wire coming out of the back of where the halo is, which goes into a clip. Out of that clip come 2 red and 2 white wires, which all go to the "black box". Out of the black box the only two wires that come out are two red ones. Am I supposed to hook them both up to the red wire for my corner lights? (I'm assuming corner lights are the best ones to hook them up to...)
Can anybody shed some light (har har) onto my predicament? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a photo for better reference.

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey man, those two wires you hook onto you park lights if they dont work when you put them in then reverse the polarity i.e. switchem over. These two wires are for the LEDs in the halo ring.

·
Registered
2000 Camry
219 Posts
I didn't want to pollute the forums by posting another thread for a related issue. I just ordered a set of the JDM black halo headlights and I didn't think I was going to have a problem with anything until I looked at the wiring and thoroughly confused myself. They of course didn't come with any instructions, as per typical ebay fashion...

So, I have the red and white wire coming out of the back of where the halo is, which goes into a clip. Out of that clip come 2 red and 2 white wires, which all go to the "black box". Out of the black box the only two wires that come out are two red ones. Am I supposed to hook them both up to the red wire for my corner lights? (I'm assuming corner lights are the best ones to hook them up to...)
Can anybody shed some light (har har) onto my predicament? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a photo for better reference.
That's easy enough, I appear to have the same set that I hooked up in January/February. You will notice that there is a hole perfectly sized on each side for your wires to go through to hook up to your parking lights. The parking lights are the amber lights that come on constantly and are shared with your turn signals.

Use one of the red wires to hook up to your parking light wire. On my car it was the green wire with the orange stripe. Then I took the other wire and put it under one of the bolts as the entire frame of the car is negative grounded. On the drivers side you will see one particular bolt has about 4 white with black stripe attached to it. I merely attached one of the halo wires there.

·
Registered
2000 Camry
219 Posts
Hey man, those two wires you hook onto you park lights if they dont work when you put them in then reverse the polarity i.e. switchem over. These two wires are for the LEDs in the halo ring.
On mine they work either way. I did use a 12 volt DC adapter to test the halo first before putting it on my car.

·
Registered
'01 Camry V6 LE (MT)
77 Posts
That's easy enough, I appear to have the same set that I hooked up in January/February. You will notice that there is a hole perfectly sized on each side for your wires to go through to hook up to your parking lights. The parking lights are the amber lights that come on constantly and are shared with your turn signals.

Use one of the red wires to hook up to your parking light wire. On my car it was the green wire with the orange stripe. Then I took the other wire and put it under one of the bolts as the entire frame of the car is negative grounded. On the drivers side you will see one particular bolt has about 4 white with black stripe attached to it. I merely attached one of the halo wires there.
Ah yes, the infamous green wire with orange stripe. I know the one of which you speak. I used that one running off of my rear parking lights to hook up my reverse glow gauges. I ran those off of the rear lights so I didn't have to run the wire through the firewall.
Well cool. I will find the same wire that goes to the front ones and use that. Thanks guys for the help!

·
Registered
2000 Camry
219 Posts
Ah yes, the infamous green wire with orange stripe. I know the one of which you speak. I used that one running off of my rear parking lights to hook up my reverse glow gauges. I ran those off of the rear lights so I didn't have to run the wire through the firewall.
Well cool. I will find the same wire that goes to the front ones and use that. Thanks guys for the help!
You ran a wire from your rear lights all the way to your reverse glow guages? That's crazy. It works, but still. I've been known to plug the wire in the socket along with my fuse in the fusebox. I did that with the radar detector. In fact there is a nice fuse for your headlights right there next to your steering wheel that would probably have been much easier to use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts