• i want both

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since we got so many 1mzfe's and so many 5sfe's why can't we get cf intake manifolds made? i mean when i was thinking about it the only thing that we would need to be made is the plenum sans acis valve and lower manifold. and make the neck where the tb conects a little longer(about 1 inch).

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the benifits that i can think of would be:
cooler intake manifold inturn creates cooler intake air temperatur which leads to more hp.
lighter which will save us the extra weight.
smoother intake runner which will help the air travel easily.
and if the chamber is"modified" it can create a more direct path and it will help the acis valve create more power for the v6 engines and for the i4 engines you could probably choose for more hp or tq if it is done correctly.

ufoz: what do you think?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
sounds like it'll be too much money for too little gain....

and what's with the cf phase...like, really??

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Unless they smooth it on the inside (which I highly doubt they would because of how hard it would be to do), it would be exteremly rough on the inside.

And intake manifolds aren't so heavy that you will gain anything from the lost weight.

And C/F isn't exactly the look you want on an engine. At least in my opinion. Engines tend to look better painted, or with a clean natural look. C/F would look really odd.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Better to go ITBs or something... that will be easier for the 5SFE dudes than the 1MZFe guys though...

·
^
4,197 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
the benifits that i can think of would be:
cooler intake manifold inturn creates cooler intake air temperatur which leads to more hp.

lighter which will save us the extra weight.

smoother intake runner which will help the air travel easily.

and if the chamber is"modified" it can create a more direct path

and it will help the acis valve create more power for the v6

engines and for the i4 engines you could probably choose for more hp or tq if it is done correctly.

ufoz: what do you think?

Like I said, a phenolic spacer would work just as well to reduce air intake temps. The weight savings aren't worth it for the cost. The only benefit would be shortening the runners for a tad more high end or lengthening them for more low end, either of which can be done by cutting and TIG welding the stock aluminum manifold. For F/I applications, you could enlarge the plenum to 2x engine displacement, which would make HP, but its not worth the cost. That being said, its very easy to make a mistake and lose a lot more HP than you stand to gain.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i do not propose to do it the same way that it is designed now.
i was thinking of moving the plenum more towards the middle.
that way it will be easier to change out the plugs and it would create less stress on the lower manifold.
if you notice how it hangs back over the rear bank of the motor, it adds to the stress on the motor mounts aswell.
also alot of the gen5 camry's have a plastic manifold that gm has used in the past and gm has had problems with it in the past.
this new manifold can be universal for all 1mzfe motors not just gen3,4 or 5's
so this could benifit al the camry generations.
and as for the 5sfe motor aswell in celica's,corolla's,camry's,avaolon's,solara's,and a possibility for mr2's.

so tell me if it's not worth it.

*if i honestly knew how to work with fiberglass and cf then i would have done it already. but i don't and i'm gauging interest to see if someone who does might jump in and take over.

in all honesty we spend money on glo gauges(just for looks), neons(also just for looks),dash kits(looks?),and cheap ebay ram air intakes(performance?or just a waste the you could have buit for less?).
cf hood=reduces weight that is on the car nearest to the top.
cf trunk=reduces weight that is on the car nearest to the top.
lower spring=bring the ride height down to lower center of gravity.
struts=help keep the wheels planted
swaybar=prevents roll
brakes=help stop the vehicle better
rims=lets the brakes breath easier
tires=more rummer to road to gain traction
exhaust=lets the motor perform better
intake(f/i or cai)=improve motors breathing capabilities
p&p=increase flow going into motor with minimal restriction

we do all this to help the car why not go one step further?
cf intake manifold=reduce the weight heighest up on the car also reduces intake air temperatures, improves air velocity, increases tq and hp (if done correctly). aswell as makes it easier to perform a tuneup and make it easier to look over the engine.

a spacer will not allow the brackets that are holding the plenum up to connect also bringing the manifold at an undesired angle.

edit*as for the cost i didn't even mention price. cause i don't know how much it would cost and if a group buy was to be done it might work out for all of us and alot quicker than the other gb i've seen since i'v been here.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
And C/F isn't exactly the look you want on an engine.
Well... C/F and fiberglass are both extremely flammable and burn with a 1000+C flame, because of the petrochemicals in the resin...

·
^
4,197 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:

edit*as for the cost i didn't even mention price. cause i don't know how much it would cost and if a group buy was to be done it might work out for all of us and alot quicker than the other gb i've seen since i'v been here.

An S2000 CF Intake manifold costs $1500USD, a two part (upper and lower plenum like the 1MZ) is almost twice that. A one off prototype would be a fair bit more. Take the money spent on neons, etc and put it into the cost of the CF intake manifold and go build yourself a better 1MZ, ported, polished and built.

Thats just my rationale for it not being worth it. But by all means, its your fetish, do it up and goodluck. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts