Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought a Matrix XRS. It drives perfectly and has plenty of power, basically everything is good to go, well, everything except the ABS light and brake light is on. I scanned it and it says rear left ABS sensor, so I ordered one, but I can't get this dang sensor off. I think the bearing is bad too so I'm going to just buy the whole assembly, however I can't figure out how to get this assembly apart. I took the e-brake off, removed it from the car, but it seems like its just stuck together somehow... Anyone have any experience with this? I can't find any guides online for some reason... This model has FWD with 4 wheel disk brakes with 4 wheel ABS, which I guess most other corolla and matrix doesn't have. Here is an album of the issue I've ran into.

I figure I need the whole hub assembly with sensor, basically this:

(link redacted) (wheel bearing and hub assembly with wheel speed ABS sensor)

However I can't get this dust shield, mounting bracket and that stuff apart. The E-brake attaches to this bracket as well on the opposite side, which I took off in hopes I could find some way to get it apart but no luck. I'm guessing it's just rusted together. If I could find this part for a decent price I'd buy it, but I can;t find the whole assembly... If I could find the whole hub assembly, basically everything minus the rotor, caliper and pads, and I guess the e-brake is fine too so can do with or without that... That';d be perfect. But I can't find it ANYWHERE, and I'm not willing to pay a crapload of money for it...
I don't mind driving without ABS, but the brake light being on is a bit of an issue for state inspection I think. I have a fresh sticker already though so it's not a big rush.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No help here...but wow, you scored getting a low mileage xrs like that
Yeah, it has some body damage, bumper covers are the worst part, passenger door has a big dent in it too. Also missing the skirts on the front and rear bumpers. But mechanically it drives perfect, so I figured that stuff can be set aside. It looks fine though, IMO. It's a lot nicer than a lot of the beaters I see for around this price. Body has no rust which is a huge +
Here's a bunch of pics

edit: also does anyone know, on the stereo there is a button labeled CD/AUX but this car clearly has no aux input. Is there some way to install a wire to the back of the radio? This car has the 6 disc CD changer head unit.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
Mine is wired with an aux cable. Haven't been able to see how it was wired, but it's wired to a 2 position switch with a female end.

I want to say that these hu have a connector for external aux, but have a feeling it says apple iPod. Can't confirm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is wired with an aux cable. Haven't been able to see how it was wired, but it's wired to a 2 position switch with a female end.

I want to say that these hu have a connector for external aux, but have a feeling it says apple iPod. Can't confirm.
I did a bunch of searching and it shows as this model, it's a GM head unit not the Toyota one I guess. Says it has AUX input on the back. Need to find an adapter I guess

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
This DIY covers removal of a semi-rusted bearing:

Its for drum brakes but the concept is the same.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This DIY covers removal of a semi-rusted bearing:

Its for drum brakes but the concept is the same.
So what is holding that piece together that I posted? Just rust seizing it together? Looking at the new parts on rockauto, it looks like I just need to wack the abs sensor with a hammer until it pops out the other end. That plus soaking it in PB blaster should do the trick I guess. Going to try ordering the actual hub+bearing assembly with sensor I guess. Wonder if they will take back my sensor... guessing not as it's opened

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have another issue... When revving really high, like over 7500 the car starts to smell a bit off, and the check engine light sometimes will start flashing. I have replaced the coil packs and made sure to fill it with 93 octane. I guess next step is spark plugs. The smell I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe oil burning? Temp Guage doesn't move. Car has tons of power. I'm not going to rev it high until I figure this out. I scanned it and it said evap system and had a misfire cylinder 2 and 3 so I just replaced all 4 coils.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
The sensor is built into the bearing assembly. You cannot replace it.

The sensor you bought was probably for an AWD model, which had independent rear suspension.

The reason the bearing assembly is seized is rust. The section which protrudes through the backing plate rusts to the backing plate hole.

You need to find a way to separate the two sections, usually pounding it out or prying it out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sensor is built into the bearing assembly. You cannot replace it.

The sensor you bought was probably for an AWD model, which had independent rear suspension.

The reason the bearing assembly is seized is rust. The section which protrudes through the backing plate rusts to the backing plate hole.

You need to find a way to separate the two sections, usually pounding it out or prying it out.
I see. I sent the part back and will order the hub / bearing / sensor assembly. On rockauto the part I bought says it's for this car though, specifically for the FWD matrix with 4 wheel disks and ABS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For the misfire issue, I replaced the gas cap as the rubber was cracked pretty badly. Ordered some OE spark plugs off rockauto, Denso SK20R11 per Toyota's service manual. I'm not 100% sure the issue is gone after changing the gas cap, however the car starts a lot stronger, and I haven't noticed that smell of gas in lift nor the flashing CEL. Hoping that solved the issue but I'm gonna continue doing some basic tune up stuff, including plugs and maybe fuel filter. Air filter looks pretty new. Oil was changed right before I bought the car and looks fine and is at the right level.

edit: after driving around for a while and hitting 8k rpm multiple times, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I'm pretty sure this gas cap replacement solved the misfire issue. Hopefully I'll have verification if the CEL light goes out after a few more days.

·
Registered
178 Posts
For the misfire issue, I replaced the gas cap as the rubber was cracked pretty badly. Ordered some OE spark plugs off rockauto, Denso SK20R11 per Toyota's service manual. I'm not 100% sure the issue is gone after changing the gas cap, however the car starts a lot stronger, and I haven't noticed that smell of gas in lift nor the flashing CEL. Hoping that solved the issue but I'm gonna continue doing some basic tune up stuff, including plugs and maybe fuel filter. Air filter looks pretty new. Oil was changed right before I bought the car and looks fine and is at the right level.

edit: after driving around for a while and hitting 8k rpm multiple times, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I'm pretty sure this gas cap replacement solved the misfire issue. Hopefully I'll have verification if the CEL light goes out after a few more days.
For your misfire if that doesnt solve your issue maybe coil packs ? Welcome to the xrs life. Also building mine to be a fun daily

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

• For your misfire if that doesnt solve your issue maybe coil packs ? Welcome to the xrs life. Also building mine to be a fun daily
    Well I'm like 90% the issue is gone but I already did the coils as well. They didn't change the issue I was having whatsoever. Somehow the new gas cap has made the car start stronger and run smoother overall....

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
Inspect your pcv and your injectors.

Edit : another way to test the plug for spark is set it on the top of the VC and have a friend turn it over. If the spark doesn't flow, then you have a bad plug or coil.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the issue with stumbling when starting is still happening. This morning, cold start, rainy out but not actively raining, this is how the car started:

As you can see, it starts up, then the revs drop to almost 0 before stumbling into a normal idle...

After warming up and restarting it later on, it started normally. Not sure if this is related to the misfire issue, but I assume it probably is.

New spark plugs won't get here until much later this week...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
Have you tested for spark? Place the coil and the spark plug on the VC and turn it over.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Have you tested for spark? Place the coil and the spark plug on the VC and turn it over.
What do you mean? If I didn't have spark I don't think I'd be able to run it up to redline with no issues..

If there is still a misfire it's extremely rare and inconsistent..

Edit: still smelling what I think is gas when accelerating hard, I've read spark plugs having bad seals could cause all the issues I've mentioned... Including random misfires, smelling gas, stumbling at startup.... Well my plugs say they'll be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a set of Rear ABS wheel bearings left over from my 2007 vibe rear disc brake conversion. I do not have ABS so I don't need them. They are used but will work fine. Let me know if you are interested and you can cover the shipping from Tucson......regards.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a set of Rear ABS wheel bearings left over from my 2007 vibe rear disc brake conversion. I do not have ABS so I don't need them. They are used but will work fine. Let me know if you are interested and you can cover the shipping from Tucson......regards.
I already am ordering the part on rockauto... the cost isn't that much, probably would cost more for you to ship it than to just buy a new one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
New spark plugs are in, so I've got new plugs and new coils now. I have a OBD2 scanner on order, when I did the plugs I unplugged the battery so the check engine light is currently off.
The old plugs looked pretty bad. I'd say overall I notice an improvement in smoothness especially at lower RPM's. That said, the car still stumbled at startup, even with the engine warm. So I'm guessing my issue is probably more fuel related, since I had the EVAP code in particular, I'm guessing it's somehow related to that system...

anyone have any recommendations on which brand hub assembly to buy? These things range from $35 to over 100 for the assembly... any reason to spend more? Any particular brands to avoid? The cheapest one is some powerstop brand one... the warranty is a bit shorter than the more expensive ones but other than that I don't really know what the actual differences are.
There's lots of them here... I have 4 wheel ABS and it's the rear (left) wheel

I just noticed something else very odd... underneath the passenger seat, there is moisture between the carpet and the floor mat. I can't figure out what the smell is, doesn't smell like anything in particular. I don't see any moisture anywhere else. Only thing I see is there is a vent down there, I guess for the heater? Why would it be damp there? It's not in the passenger wheel well area, its underneath the passenger seat, basically the moisture was between the carpet and the floormat for the rear seat...

1 - 20 of 123 Posts