Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I just bought a 83 Cressida with 135K on the clock and i will be a regular to this site from now on. This car remind me so much of my childhood and that's one of the reason i bought it. It has a sentimental value for sure. It won't be a drift car or daily but weekend car. I plan is to restore to its optimal running condition and will give it a brand new paint job with some other nice modifications. At this point, the car need to smog, register, fix the leaking radiator, and rebuild or replace the rear differential. Beside that, the engine is running great. Transmission shift smooth. Interior is in great condition.

One of my question regarding replacing the rear differential is how do i look for part that is interchange with other cars with 5mge motor. Any helps will be greatly appreciated.
This is what's on the bottom of the plate: 4D2JF41F292A43DE. I've searched around but can't find a solid answer.

Attachments

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,204 Posts
The diff code is F292.
This breaks down to:
F = 7.5 inch crown wheel
29 = 4.100 ratio
2 = 2 pinion, non-LSD
http://members.iinet.com.au/~stepho/diff.htm#diffcodes

Obviously you can get them them second hand from wrecked Cressida's.
Beware that the smaller E series diff (8.0 inch crown wheel) is common (double check the plate says E or F, it is easy for dirt to make it hard to read).
Also beware that ratios can be 4.100, 3.909 or 3.727 .

In the US for the 1983 model year, the Cressida could be an MX62 wagon with solid axle or an MX63 sedan with IRS.
The crown wheels can be swapped (as long as both are F series crown wheels) but the housings are completely different would require a transmission shop to do the transfer.
Beware that most MX62 wagons will have the smaller E diff, which won't work for you.

Supra's and some Celica's from the same year had the F series diff as IRS.
Check the ratio before you buy - must be F292 (non-LSD) or F294 (LSD) unless you want a different ratio (which affects your speedo).

Another source of F series diffs is brand new from almost any 4WD shop.
The F series diff was used in the front of the 4WD Toyota Pickup and some models of the Land Cruiser.
This will be expensive but you get your choice of ratio and LSD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Stepho, thank you for the detail you had shared. It is very helpful toward my journey for owning this wonderful cressida. I like the 81-84 body. This weekend our local pick n pull had a 50% off everything. There's was a wrecked 86 MX73 online and I decided to go check it out. To my surprised, the plate has the same exact diff and trans code. I looked underneath and there it was the rear diff still attached to the drive shaft. I was sure happy as heck! I am going to install in a couple of day so i hope it is still good.

By the way Stepho, what type of oil do you recommend for the rear diff? I live in California.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
So relieved to hear it isn’t going to be jacked up and turned into a drift car or one of those god awful shark nosed things.

Question - you listed the paint code as 4D2, which is Light Beige Metallic, which from info I had was 1984 color only. I do see the 1983 mirrors. What is the build date of your car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So relieved to hear it isn’t going to be jacked up and turned into a drift car or one of those god awful shark nosed things.

Question - you listed the paint code as 4D2, which is Light Beige Metallic, which from info I had was 1984 color only. I do see the 1983 mirrors. What is the build date of your car?
Build date is January 1983. Car is mostly parked and I only take out on weekend.

·
11,330 Posts
- there was a time when I could never imagine being without a 'Da Club'
- times have changed.. for the better!
- thank you immobalizer keys and mp3s

Lol I know, the late 80s early to mid 90s. I remember when they had commercials for it. Boy have times changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
80s and 90s cars are very easy to break into. That's why I would rather invested in the club. I'll be install a kill switch and park in the garage once I've make space. My old lady cressida will be with me for a very long time.

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Car looks amazing I love the comfy interiors on these classic Toyota's.

That club is super easy to defeat either hack saw the steering wheel (takes 30 seconds) and bend it off comes the club. Or pop the horn cover off remove the steering wheel put another one on. A keyless entry with engine start kill circuit is much more effective.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,665 Posts
Man, where have I been?

That digital dash is nice. I've been in the process of bringing my car up and going good too....after a good 8yr in storage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts