Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Ib but you can call me irax.

I just purchased a 1987 toyota cressida for $300. The only real problem is that it does not go into reverse (its automatic and they said its just the shift linkage) and the passenger side front window does not go down. The exterior is a few years short of show room quality, the paint is shiny chamagne gold with one dent on the hood and oxidization(sp?) on the rear qp but other than that its very nice. The interior is very nice no rips or tairs or stains just needs a nice vacuming. The moon roof works and power locks work, A/C does not show up but it does blow air (don't really care since i live in california and have no real need for AC or heater). The headgasket seems fine as far as I can tell since there is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

I bought this car as a daily driver so I can build my S14 drift car. And already I am tempted to lower it, put on an exhaust, and put some rims on it but I do not want to lose the ride quality. The most I want to put into this car outside of matenince is probably another $500 for a nice stereo.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
First, abandon all thought about the head gasket. that only affects the 7m in 89+ models not the 5m in 88 and earlier models. If it goes into all the gears except reverse, I'd really tend to rule out the linkage. More likely a shift solenoid....easiest solution: get a manual tranny either a pre-86 celica supra or a manual cressida would be perfect to pull from :p Sounds like a good enough deal for the car, rule of thumb I've heard is anything that moves under its own power is worth 400-500 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but i want to keep it automatic and just consintrate on doing the VQ35DE swap on my s14.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
irax -

i had an 87 cressida that had a pretty good transmission failure, so we choose to drop out the bad auto tranny and push a new one up in it. The aluminum unit is quite lite and easy to handle, and with some help and a decent amount of tools, you should be able to put a transmission (pick one up at a salvage yard for a couple hundred dollars or less -- get a 90 day warranty) and go.

ab

·
SupahSLam
87 Toyota Cressida
6 Posts
Nice steal on the car!!!

I also bought a 87 Cressida recently for 500 bucks and it has a funny noise...I am not trying to thread jack but i am having a small issue that is just a noise when I am at the redlight or getting ready to take off. It's like small grinding sounding noise that lasts for sometimes up to 3 seconds. It doesn't increase if I press the accelerator...and it clears up only to do it again randomly at a redlight or coming to a complete stop from 5mph to 0... WTF is that???

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Nice steal on the car!!!

I also bought a 87 Cressida recently for 500 bucks and it has a funny noise...I am not trying to thread jack but i am having a small issue that is just a noise when I am at the redlight or getting ready to take off. It's like small grinding sounding noise that lasts for sometimes up to 3 seconds. It doesn't increase if I press the accelerator...and it clears up only to do it again randomly at a redlight or coming to a complete stop from 5mph to 0... WTF is that???
that's not thread jacking, what you did is grave digging lol. at least you tried to not start a useless new thread even if you shoulda lol.

there are 2 things that come to mind with what you're describing. one is a transmission-based grating/grinding that happens from time to time that I don't know of anyone has a difinitive explanation or fix OR the alternator is dirty like mine was. the transmission thing will be from under the car behind the front wheels. the alternator problem would be from the engine bay.

for the alternator: go to your preferred auto parts store and get a can of CRC electrical parts cleaner; red can with pictures of the alternator and starter on it. spray about half the can in/on the alternator when the engine's off. then start the car and spray the rest of the can in with it running before it warms up.

·
SupahSLam
87 Toyota Cressida
6 Posts
HAHA Sorry I didn't check the date...oh well since it is a bit revived...
I am pretty sure it is transmission related because if it is making that noise and I go to ease the gear selector back to 2 it does affect the noise...or if I move it to Neutral it stops completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts