Toyota Nation Forum banner

just bought a 91 Tercel help a noob

1570 7
Hey guys, Yes im a noob so take it easy on me. I own a 02 civic but me and my dad bought a 91 tercel le 5spd 2dr as a second car and winter beater. Now I think I might have got ripped off on this car cause the owner before the guy who I bought it from was an auto wrecker, Now the car looks good inside and out and runs great for a 91, excpet it makes a weird noise only when making hard right turns. any idea what this might be? Im also concerned the odometer might have been rolled back, what should I check on the car to amke sure its in good condition? How good are these 1.5L 12valve engines anyways? I bought the tercel because of there reputation of reliablity and the engines running forever with low maitenance. Did i amke a good choice? any help or advice or tips from you toyota owners would be greatly appreciated.:)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My Dixie Wrecked
647 Posts
Personally, if the car is just meant to be a beater, I wouldn't care about that noise at all. It's probably just a suspension mount with at bad bearing, or maybe a cv joint. Nothing serious. As long as the engine runs good, that's the most important thing.
Those engine's are super reliable. The only flaw I'm aware of is the valve seals. But that's not a big deal either so long as you don't mind adding oil on a regular basis.
Man, I love beaters!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok man thanks alot, thats reassuring. Ive been reading a bunch of your posts and it seems like you are very knowledgeable on tercels. Is there anything you recommend to keep the engine running strong and getting the most out of it??? also do you know of anywhere to get cheap parts for my tercel if it does need repairs?

·
Toy-Cel
1,114 Posts
Ya you made great choice, as far as the engine being reliable....

To keep it running strong, as long you keep it full of oil, and have it and the filter changed regularly, you should be good to go for a while on it

cheers

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
280 Posts
1st let me sat that buying that Tercel was an excellent choice. for odometer rollbacks just do a carfaq on it or if you wanna be cheap, go to carmax (if one is near you) act as if you are selling the car and they will do a carfaq and inspection of your vehicle for free. Noises could be as mentioned a bearing/wheel bearing, cv joint or other suspension related issue, sterring wheel pinion or something to that effect...do the process of elimination. The maintenance recommendations made are as good as they come and if you feel like you are pouring too much money into a high mileage motor, you can get a few swaps that will drop right in for a decent price. I use 10w 30 so its a good oil.

DOTMREP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks, yeah im taking into a shop tommorow for a lower control arm and oil change, But for future reference how much would an engine swap cost? would it really be worth it, or would it make more sense to buy a different car?

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
280 Posts
Depends on what you want and whats your budget. Basic swaps are under $1,000 labor included (Basic & Mid power swaps) and $2,000 and up labor included (Turbo and 20 Valve swaps). I have a 5E-FHE and I wont ever go back to a 3E-E. Need more info PM me.

DOTMREP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.