Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my friends '93 Camry v6 automatic. I bought it knowing the transmission slips and the motor has no spark. It has 150k on the car, but the body and interior are mint. Plus I got it for a pretty decent price.
First want to get the motor running again so we can test it out and see how the transmission really is.

It was running a few weeks ago. My friend said the transmission started slipping bad then the motor just shut off. It hasn’t started since. Now I opened the oil cap to see if the timing belt was still intact and the cams are spinning. Where should I look first to figure out why it has no spark? Also is there any where I can download a manual for the car?

Also are these cars known for the transmission computers going bad or anything? Would this most likely be an internal or electrical problem regarding the transmission?

I will post up some pics if you are interested in seeing the car

Thanks

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Transmission problems are probably not electrical. Probably worn clutch packs or something.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
PM coming your way. ;)

I'd look over the OBDI diagnostic stuff... see if he has any check engine lights.

·
Registered
'93 Camry V6 LE
328 Posts
Check for ignition spark while cranking, at the ignition coil wire. Do this by placing a spark plug in the coil wire boot and grounding it. There should be plenty of spark. If it does, move on to the distributor cap and rotor. Inspect them, if they look crappy, replace. The wires may be in poor condition as well, don't be fooled if they have been replaced already with aftermarket, as you know, some aftermarket parts are not great. If there is no spark anywhere in the system, check the ignition coil for continuity on the primary and secondary windings. If it looks ok, check the ignitor. This is the metal box mounted next to the ignition coil, (it actually has ignitor written on it). If this solves nothing, move on to the ECM (computer behind the glovebox) check all connections- maybe switch out the ECM with a known good one. As for the transmission, it is probably slipping because of aging rubber seals. You can treat it with 2 bottles of lucas transmission fix. Don't expect immediate results, it takes time for seals to soften. It could take as long as a month or two for full results. good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information, I was surprised on how fast I got so much help.

I checked the primary coil and it ohm'd out to 1.0 ohm. The manual specs it at 0.2-0.3 ohms. Do you think that could be the problem?

·
Registered
'93 Camry V6 LE
328 Posts
Thanks for all the information, I was surprised on how fast I got so much help.

I checked the primary coil and it ohm'd out to 1.0 ohm. The manual specs it at 0.2-0.3 ohms. Do you think that could be the problem?
Yea, the Toyotanation forums are some of the best I've seen, there are a lot of great members here on the Camry forum. There has been a lot of topics covered and is an essential part of diagnostics and up-grade information. The primary coil could very well be the fault. It may be suffering from internal insulation deterioration, which is why the resistance is dropping. I would definately take a closer look at it. If you can get your hands on a known good used coil, I would replace it. You can buy new, not sure what kind of money your willing to risk if it's not the problem, but "if it walks like a duck"........ good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some more work on the car today. Took the distributor off, looked clean and dry. Put it back on and then decided to check spark at the primary coil. It had strong blue spark. ???

So i tried to start the car and after a couple tries it started up. It was flooded a lot though.

Took it for a ride and the transmission is shot. Slips like crazy barely shifts.

What do you think was causing it to have no spark? I don't want to get stuck somewhere because of an intermittent problem.

Also what year trans. will fit this car? Just 92-93?

·
Registered
'93 Camry V6 LE
328 Posts
Did some more work on the car today. Took the distributor off, looked clean and dry. Put it back on and then decided to check spark at the primary coil. It had strong blue spark. ???

So i tried to start the car and after a couple tries it started up. It was flooded a lot though.

Took it for a ride and the transmission is shot. Slips like crazy barely shifts.

What do you think was causing it to have no spark? I don't want to get stuck somewhere because of an intermittent problem.

Also what year trans. will fit this car? Just 92-93?
It was flooded as a result of cranking without firing. It could be a loose connection somewhere, but I doubt it. It could still be the ignition coil. It may loose spark again when the coil warms up after a while. Keep an eye on it. Does the tranny slip in drive only? can you manually shift from L up through 2, D and O/D with any difference? What does it do in reverse? Is the tranny fluid level up to normal (check with engine idling in park, let the engine idle for 10 minutes before you check it.) Could be toast. Might be worth draining two quarts of tranny fluid out, then pour in two quarts of Lucas Transmission Fix (cost you about $30 for two bottles) This may revive the tranny, at least it may make it usable. Results usually improve over time. The '92-'93 V6, 3VZ-FE Camry with the A540E transmission or the '92-'93 Lexus ES 300 (also has the 3VZ-FE engine) Transmission will also work if you wanna go that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The transmission seems a lot better in reverse. Manually shifting didn't do much. Fluids full, but it smells burnt. So im guessing the clutch packs are done. I'm most likely going to look for a used transmission or possibly have this one rebuilt if it isn't too much. I seen a couple JDM camry transmission on ebay that were pretty cheap, ~$400. Will this work in a USDM camry?

·
Registered
'93 Camry V6 LE
328 Posts
The transmission seems a lot better in reverse. Manually shifting didn't do much. Fluids full, but it smells burnt. So im guessing the clutch packs are done. I'm most likely going to look for a used transmission or possibly have this one rebuilt if it isn't too much. I seen a couple JDM camry transmission on ebay that were pretty cheap, ~$400. Will this work in a USDM camry?
The JDM tranny should work fine as long as it is the A540E. Your Camry may have been made in Japan. Check the VIN number, if it starts with a "J", then it was made in Japan. It is also written on the drivers door jam tag, just down from the door catch post.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
The JDM tranny should work fine as long as it is the A540E. Your Camry may have been made in Japan. Check the VIN number, if it starts with a "J", then it was made in Japan. It is also written on the drivers door jam tag, just down from the door catch post.
Note that J vin cars are STILL USDM... they're just made in Japan for the USDM market.

·
Registered
'93 Camry V6 LE
328 Posts
Note that J vin cars are STILL USDM... they're just made in Japan for the USDM market.
True, but the US built Camry uses the GKN type drive axles, where the Japan built uses Toyota drive axles (and a few other small differences). The tranny should still interchange, the drive axles can be plucked out of the diff and switched if needed.

·
White Stripes
159 Posts
How much did you buy the camry for? If you're interested, I'm selling my 93 v6 camry for only $900. The car has no major issues. The engine is still strong so is the transmission. You can either swap out the trans and put it in yours or simply drive my car and not worry about it. I have a FS thread up, just look me up or pm me if you're interested.

Thanks,
Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts