Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1997 GTT and am having a few worries about some problems I've since noticed...

1 - The largest one (which I was aware of before purchase) is an exhaust manifold leak (presumably the classic gasket issue I've read about). I'm an engineering student and have access to a workshop so I plan to remove the manifold, resurface it, tap & helicoil the head, insert new studs and bolt the thing back on with a new gasket. I've read about installing an additional stud but it sounds hard and I'd rather not - is this wise?

2 - I've also discovered that the PCV-cap-tube thing won't stay on the valve cover, after a short period of driving it tends to blow off and I can hear a loud hissing. Can I glue this down with something?

3 - I've found that what I presume is the air flow sensor (back of the air filter box, Denso sticker on it, rubber thing inside) keeps detaching from the box. I've duct taped this temporarily but I figure I can glue this up.

4 - The car had a boost gauge and controller installed by it's previous-previous owner (so I was told) I have the controller set as low as possible yet the gauge registers 15+ Psi boost under heavy accel. Could this be right? Or due to a combination of the things mentioned above?

Any help/advice/reassurance would be hugely appreciated.

Sorry that was long!

·
Registered
2 Posts
your turbo problems.........

16psi is the level in which the turbo peaks too. the factory actuator/internal wastegate will open at 16psi and will drop the pressure to around 14psi that's all at full throttle the ecu has turbo sensors and will be throwing codes if something is worng. With an aftermarket boost tap you can only wind up the boost you cannot wind it down. you will need to change the actuator to be able to wind it down because it will not open till you hit that 16psi mark.
I love my caldina look after it very well if it was me id take out the boost tap. Toyota know best they have been building cars for way longer then any of us. Its know it all boy racers or mechanics that stick in things like this and unless you have a fully worked engine you do not want to be winding up the boost. you seriously risk bending a con rod or doing some other sort of major damage.

also having the turbo hit 16psi like that puts a lot of strain on the engine. it is made for it but will break things in no time at all. I know how to hit 16psi you plant your foot and on the downward gear change it will hit 16psi before dropping down to a more stable level. with all turbos its always recommended to ease the turbo on so try not stamping your foot to the floor and do more of a slow progressive movement to the floor. play round with it and you will get what I mean. you will also get more power output by doing this and the car will love you for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts