Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the new Bridgestone ecopia tires! After lots of research, here and all over the net, I decided on these tires. I'll admit the price was a big factor, $875 canadian out the door is the best price of any I could find in this oddball size(245/55/19). I had quotes up to $1650!
Next closest competitor(for me) was Firestone destination LE2. Close in price, also great reviews.
In the end, availability and price forced me to go with the ecopias. They will be installed next week, and I will provide a review when I have driven on them for a little while.

Ben

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New tires are on.
First impression: Boring.
They look boring, and feel boring.

That is not to say I don't like them, it's just that they don't stand out in any way. They are quiet, but not quieter than the OEM, smooth, but not smoother, and stop the car well. All things you want in a tire, but nothing exciting to tell.

No bad weather yet, so nothing to report there, but are definitely going to be better than the bald OEMs.

So the biggest improvement I'm hoping for is in the wear life. The originals were terrible, so I am really hoping to get more even, longer lasting tread wear from these Ecopias.

Only time will tell. Btw, still very satisfied because the price was better than any other.

Tread:

Side wall:

Whole car:

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,151 Posts
Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

I'm want to get your opinion about something before I do it.
Since this is more of a gen 2 HL item (and not a specific hybrid thread), I'm tempted to move this to the 2nd gen area. There are a lot of people there who would appreciate your review that might not look here. I would leave a redirect in the HH section.
You cool with it? If you want to leave it here, that's cool too :thumbsup: Just figured I'd ask before I did it.

·
Toyota Traitor
15 RDX, 09 TACOMA
966 Posts
I have them too.. they are great, no experience in ice or snow because I have Blizzak's for the winter. Good treadwear.

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid
8 Posts
Hi all,
i switched form the factory Dueler 400 to the new Ecopia 422 last year and must say these are a big improvement over the factory tires in the rain. While i didn't use them this winter as i have winter rims and tires i will say these tires are much better in the few slushy days we had this spring and it will be interesting to see how they wear compared to the old ones. I got these because of the fuel savings potential as i tow a 17ft boat and a 12ft Coleman pop up trailer with my Hybrid and not really needing a performance tire per say.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,
i switched form the factory Dueler 400 to the new Ecopia 422 last year and must say these are a big improvement over the factory tires in the rain. While i didn't use them this winter as i have winter rims and tires i will say these tires are much better in the few slushy days we had this spring and it will be interesting to see how they wear compared to the old ones. I got these because of the fuel savings potential as i tow a 17ft boat and a 12ft Coleman pop up trailer with my Hybrid and not really needing a performance tire per say.
I just got my hybrid in August, but plan on towing a pop up trailer too. Any suggestions or tips?

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid
8 Posts
I just got my hybrid in August, but plan on towing a pop up trailer too. Any suggestions or tips?
My trip out East was very hilly especially in Cape Breton's Cabot Trail and this is where the Hybrid really shines, instead of high revs to climb the hill i could see the boost gauge working its magic and with the long down hills i was getting very good mileage and saw my battery reach full bars for the first time. My trip to the USA i kept the speed around 110 Km per hour and averaged around 11-12L per 100km and that was running the AC, the trick is to not exceed 120km or the mileage really starts to move to around the 14L per 100km but with all those American cops looking for Canadian Speeders i kept it on the down low mostly. I use to use a 2002 Pathfinder LE with the 3.5L motor and that towing was in the 16-18L range and a much smaller vehicle in size so i'm really happy with the Hybrid

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My trip out East was very hilly especially in Cape Breton's Cabot Trail and this is where the Hybrid really shines, instead of high revs to climb the hill i could see the boost gauge working its magic and with the long down hills i was getting very good mileage and saw my battery reach full bars for the first time. My trip to the USA i kept the speed around 110 Km per hour and averaged around 11-12L per 100km and that was running the AC, the trick is to not exceed 120km or the mileage really starts to move to around the 14L per 100km but with all those American cops looking for Canadian Speeders i kept it on the down low mostly. I use to use a 2002 Pathfinder LE with the 3.5L motor and that towing was in the 16-18L range and a much smaller vehicle in size so i'm really happy with the Hybrid
Great, thanks. Mostly we will be staying in Ontario. I used to tow with a gmc Sierra, 5.7 L !! That was a pig on gas, but couldn't even feel the trailer behind. So I'm looking forward to the mileage improvement, but I'm used to towing with a very powerful truck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a couple monts with these tires, I have to say I am impressed With their handling in the rain. They are good for everyday driving, but excellent in the rain. Drove home from work this morning in heavy rain, not once did I hydroplane, or even feel loose once.

One more note. As I mentioned before, they were purchased at costco. I picked up a nail close to the sidewall in one tire, and took it in to be repaired. They told me it was too close to the side, so must be replaced. Since the tread wear was still new, they are warranting the tire at 100%. Very happy obviously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts