Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 Taco 4dr long bed
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was trying to find out what the top speed is in a 2005+ v6 tacoma (No place around here to find out first hand) and I've been unable to find anything in searches.

My brothers drive chevy trucks and are always bragging how fast they go. I used to have one of the early (1995) v8 dakotas and of course they would never challenge me to a race at the local drag strip. They instead insisted instead that they would blow my doors off in a long race. I was able to correct them on this as well without leaving the drive, as I informed them that the trucks they currently had would shut off at 99 mph, and the dakota would shut off at 5500 rpm which was way over 100 mph.

I now have an 05 tacom dble cab long bed prerunner with the 4.0 and auto. I done searches to try to find the top speed, to no avail. Mom's birthday is coming up, and while I'm there, I'm sure I'll be hearing it again, (especially) since it a toyota. Also is the tacoma,.....mph limited, rpm limited, or maybe even both? Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks........................................ Dan :cool:

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
Excessive speed on public roads just isn't smart. If you have no concern for yourself, at least think about others on the road. Just because it looks like a desolate stretch of road doesn't mean it will stay that way long enough for you to try and "prove" something.

I'd remind your brothers of this when they start in on you, cause I doubt the only time they've tested out their truck was on the strip.

Just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Excessive speed on public roads just isn't smart. If you have no concern for yourself, at least think about others on the road. Just because it looks like a desolate stretch of road doesn't mean it will stay that way long enough for you to try and "prove" something.

I'd remind your brothers of this when they start in on you, cause I doubt the only time they've tested out their truck was on the strip.

Just my 2 cents ;)
good post and point, my apologies

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,026 Posts
Guys, deleted your posts as to how fast you've gone on PUBLIC roads. You should all know by now this is a big no-no.
I wondered how long it would take. The only public road where this has been done legally was on the autobahn in Germany by Tacogrande (as far as I'm aware). But many have tested it out on the track.

Since most of your posts with the answer were deleted, I'll sum up what's been noted before in both the deleted posts and prior posts.

The trucks have a limiter installed that won't allow the vehicle to exceed 110 mph (per the speedo, actual speed via GPS has been observed around 106/107 by various individuals...I assume on the track:D). With the Governor Mod done, who knows? I think Tacogrande said he got up to 130+ MPH on the autobahn once before it got very squirrelly (I remember him mentioning it but can't find the post anymore).

·
Registered
05 Taco 4dr long bed
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, guys, didn't want to get anyone in trouble. I was just looking for spec info for bragging rights. (Toyota vs Chevy) Neither myself or my brothers race on the street. Just a lot of smack talkin. We use to race at the local drag strip when we were younger, so you sort of always have it in you blood, even if you don't actually do it anymore. Thanks again for the info, looks fairly respectable for a truck, especially a 6 cyl. ....................................... Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.