Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just done a rear disc brake conversion on my ae92 corolla and all was sweet apart from the bushes not fitting but i managed to fix that. here are the pics of it...

the pads are pratically brand new but the rotors had surface rust on it which i neglected to brush off before i put them on and the springy clip things which help hold the pads in are gone from one side and on the other side the dust seal around the piston has a small rip on it.

when i went to pull up the hand brake it was as loose as a mofo, so i adjusted it from the hand brake with out the centre console off and didnt realise that there were 2 nuts which were locked together so now my thread on the cable looks like this

even when it was adjusted to its maximum it still took about 9 clicks for it to be reasonably tight and still me and a few others could push the car. when i took it for a drive the pedel was quite spongy and i was unable to lock up my rears with the hand brake, but when i went for a full lock i managed to get the front tyres locked up.

so now im off to get another hand brake cable but do i need to get that dust seal and those clip thingys? and also how can i give my hand brake a bit more bite?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I think you should bleed them once more. You can get that cable from toyota, doesnt cost that much.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
dumb question.... did you have to change the proportioning valve?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
94_Rolla_Guy said:
dumb question.... did you have to change the proportioning valve?
that blocky thing on the fire wall with all the pipes coming from and to it?

havent gotten to changing it yet as thats not my concern yet. just the hand brake how i have to pull it heaps to engage it. i tried sticking some washers on the caliper inbetween where that plate holding the cable and caliper meet will that work?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
Hey dude.. what suspension do you have??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
REN69 said:
Hey dude.. what suspension do you have??
D2 coilovers

digital_racer said:
How about changing the cable to the right size? It is usually replaced with the disc conversion to the set length.
do you mean the single one from the hand brake? well i was thinking that but seems that there is little difference btween them i think

·
AE101
Corolla AE101
69 Posts
gasman said:
do you mean the single one from the hand brake? well i was thinking that but seems that there is little difference btween them i think
Check if the cable is loose when the handbrake is down.
Where did you get the disk brake? (car model)

·
Registered
64 Posts
That was my question ESSE :confused: :confused:
The 180i Ae92 Corolla's and 180i conquest Ae92 (hatch) got rear disk brakes, I'm gonna source some from a scrapped car and do da conversion if God Permits :naughty: :naughty:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
digital_racer said:
Check if the cable is loose when the handbrake is down.
Where did you get the disk brake? (car model)
when the hand brake is down the cable is kinda loose and i got the brakes off a ae92 supercharged levin jdm spec

·
AE101
Corolla AE101
69 Posts
They probably gave you the wrong cable or you used your old cable.
You could find a cable that fits or tweak your hand brake so it's almost upright like a rally cars e-brake.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bahahahhahahahha i finally fixed it after trying to lock up the rear brakes with the hand brake and all of a sudden it goes loose. thinking that i have broken the cabel i go home and look at where the equaliser bar is crooked and so i get to thinking that the right side cabel is snapped, but there is still tension in the cabel. then i notice that the clamp bit by where the exhaust pipe runs that it the cable has moved and then figure out that i clamped the cable in the wrong place.:D

after clamping it in the small metal pipe with the groove and readjusting the hand brake it works fine, but now the brakes are still spongy and you still have to push it a fair way before the brakes stert working. would this be the porptiong valve thingy causing this?

sxlostv1 said:
well well ther i see you got d2 coilovers too . i got the same thing. how they doin for u?
they work like a treat. bloody awsome for what you pay for them.

·
AE101
Corolla AE101
69 Posts
gasman said:
would this be the porptiong valve thingy causing this?
Nope. The proportioning valve is for the foot pedal. It controls the fluid from the master cylinder to the front and rear brakes. Your problem is with the cable, check how it moves on both ends, if it really locks the brakes at th rear.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts