Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy jesus I am excited. I finally own a high quality downpipe for my 4th gen 5s-fe that mates up to a J spec ct26 turbo on one side, passes under and down to the stock exhaust flange without hitting anything. All stainless steel all done with a TIG welder by hand by a guy I know who just graduated wyotech. We ran out of argon gas just after the last weld was complete. Took 10 hours to make and it is damn solid. Wastegate moves freely and the flange and gasket are port matched to the turbo (originally the wastegate flapper would hit the flange and get caught.) The downpipe slides in place easily and clears the oil filter by about 1.5 inches due to no water cooler on it. The dipstick needed to be bent back one inch and 2 inches to the passenger side. The downpipe is 3 inches all the way and all the welds are full penetration and polished smooth on the inside for best flow around the tight bend at the top. I will try and get my pictures to work as soon as I can but I just had to let you guys know. Things will move quickly now, just waiting on a greddy type s BOV flange so that can be welded to the upper intercooler piping. Injectors come back from RC engineering soon and then I just need oil lines and a fuel pump. I'll update soon!

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
you tease!!! i wanna see pics...

seems like on all the 5s turbos i see... people neglect pics of the downpipe, and it should be quite unique on each car...

carl is a VERY skilled turbo builder, LOTS of projects under the belt, and mine took 4-5 hours, so that is some good time for you, impressive :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry it took so long but here are pictures!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Grasshopper04/Cars/Omar/omar014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Grasshopper04/Cars/Omar/omar012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Grasshopper04/Cars/Omar/omar010.jpg

Here is a picture of my grill that I cut out with a dremel tool and put in some mesh and the toyota emblem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Grasshopper04/Cars/Omar/omar009.jpg

And here is the new bumper that is going on. Notice it isnt quite the evo bumper. It is stock bumper size. No side skirts just the front bumper which is only a 1/2 inch lower than the stock bumper. that front hole will feed my shiny new intercooler :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Grasshopper04/Cars/Omar/omar008.jpg

Thats all for now folks.

Please resize your pics, their to damn big. :slap:

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
That downpipe looks great! I like the grill too. :)

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
looks great man! Exactly what i am doing.. i dont own a welder so looks like i will be cuting piping, and jimming it up to get it welded.. haha

but looks great congrats on your accomplishments.

How did you bend the dip stick?

how much did the metal gaskets cost for the dp, turbo to mani, and mani to head?

On your manifold... did it have the studs on it to connect to the turbo? i just looked at mine, its missing studs, but is threaded.

and last question.. which injectors did you go with?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RedPhoenix said:
looks great man! Exactly what i am doing.. i dont own a welder so looks like i will be cuting piping, and jimming it up to get it welded.. haha

but looks great congrats on your accomplishments.

How did you bend the dip stick?

how much did the metal gaskets cost for the dp, turbo to mani, and mani to head?

On your manifold... did it have the studs on it to connect to the turbo? i just looked at mine, its missing studs, but is threaded.

and last question.. which injectors did you go with?
To bend the dipstick I just grabbed it and bent it back 1/2 inch and then a little to the left. It really didnt need to be moved that much. Probably should have heated it up but I didnt like the idea of cooking all the oil residue inside the tube and then pushing it off into the oil pan later. The gaskets for everything were all cheap, turbo to manifold was the most expensive at $30 and the manifold to head I am just reusing since mine is in excellent comdition.
Yes my manifold came with 4 studs that thread into the manifold and the turbo side is secured with nuts. My injectors are the supra lime green tops. I am having them cleaned and tested by RC engineering to make sure they all check out ok. I want to run 5 psi so they should be adequate for me I dont want to have to take away much fuel, only add it to avoid having issues with timing advance. If I need bigger injectors I will use RC 440's I think.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RedPhoenix said:
how are you making it 5psi? are you modding the wastegate arm?

I see you have a few new nuts, do you remember what size it was, so i can look for new studs. thanks
The system will be designed to safely accomodate 7-8 psi or even 10-11 for short bursts but I want to run it at 5 psi to stay relatively safe. I am doing this in several ways. The intercooler piping promotes presure drop so I will leave the vaccuum line to the wastegate actuator directly hooked up to the turbo so the wastegate will not be able to compensate for the pressure drop across the piping and intercooler which is probably like 1-2 psi. Next I modified the wasegate arm by cutting it, threading it, threading the ends back into a threaded sleeve with lock nuts on each side. I can run it so there is a whole lot of pretension or in my case no pretension or even partially open if I wanted. Next I will be installing a pop off valve next to the blow off valve that will be set to vent at 6 psi so if boost ever spikes, the pop off valve will open at 6psi and vent pressure. I have a warning light that I can set with my laptop, tied into my wideband setup that will light up red if air fuel goes outside specified parameters or if boost exceeds a user defined limit. This way I will instantly be alerted to a boost increase outside my desired limit (5psi) and the pop off valve will vent the excess pressure. If airfuel goes wrong I will also be alerted instantly so I can get off the throttle as soon as possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.