Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 2004 matrix xr for doing some carpentry for a friend of a friend. I had a 96 Avalon but this engine is alot different any help is appreciated.

I haven't dug into all the servicing yet but I have a few concerns.

04 matrix xr. 200700 miles manual transmission.

First question is I have no connector going to my transmission speed sensor. And I can't find it, looked everywhere. The speed reads fine but idk I'm at a loss on that one. Is it nothing to worry about? Why have it if it's not needed?

Second question. I took oil fill cap off while it was running. I know some blow back is normal on some cars but I left my hand there about 6" away and I got tiny bit of oil on my hand. Oil level is fine. Oil change is due in about 500 miles.
How much back pressure is normal if any?
And what would be the best way to check this.
No error codes. I had a crank sensor code but fixed that and hasn't came back yet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
was there oil on the oil cap beforee you took it off? If so I'd check your PCV valve. You can test it by removing it and shaking it, it should make noise as you shake it. if you're looking at the head square from the top (facing towards the dash), its at the top right of the head with a vaccuum hose coming out of it. The vacuum connector may have a bit of oil around it.

No idea on the transmission speed sensor. Wonder if the clutch or transmission was replaced and they forgot to hook it back up.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
The speedometer will always be off. How much, I am not sure. Some say it's 1 or 2 %, but it could be more, or less.

Everytime I pass a school zone that tells how fast you go, it's off by 2. I don't know which is accurate.

Not sure about blow back with the oil fill cap on the VC.

Edit : do you have abs? The module is located behind the passenger headlight. I read somewhere on here that it is in the tone ring. I can't confirm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pcv valve is fine. Put a new one on just in case. Same blow back. I know it has a vacuum leak because of the fuel trims.

My speedometer seems right are close. If that's unplugged wouldn't it not work ?
Where does the speed sensor connector start from?
I can't find it unplugged anywhere.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea there is oil on the cap.

Im trying to find the vacuum leak but haven't yet looking as we speak. Tried parts cleaner first, then a water test. Couldn't find it yet.l
now trying to do a ghetto smoke test.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check vacuum hose diagram. I found hoses swapped when I hooked up a vacuum gauge, the idle smoothed out, I never did find a vacuum diagram but it was obvious as I looked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K I'll check those today. I couldn't find any vacuum leaks yesterday it's prob the intake manifold like u said. It sounds like it's coming from there. I took off the tensioner pulley cause it was a little loose and I think they had the wrong bolt in. I'm going to go to the junk yard later and run a tap through it. Hopefully the bolt holes isn't all messed up.
Does anyone know if there is suppose to be a washer behind the tensioner pulley. This had one and it did not look like it was suppose to be there. And does anyone know the correct bolt for that. I think it's a 12 with 1.5 threads not sure though.
Thanks again everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts