Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
nub
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this and i want to do it right with this car.

The other night my buddies installed a cone air filter and a breather because they were laying around.

I'm trying to get all of this figured out what the most important/best things are to get first for the car.

its a 96 2.2l

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
first thing, is make sure it runs well, oils, water, check for mechanical damage, wheel alignment, tyre tread, etc.
when thats all done, the next thing is to learn to drive a FWD =) now when you have this down, its up to you want you want to do =)
go faster? turn faster? boom boom? its up to what you want to do and how much money you got for the rice.

·
nub
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want some performance and make it nice/clean looking. no stickers or underglows and probably no body kit

I just got rid of my 93 xle v6 and i just want to do this one right from the start.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
I've had my gen 3 for about 5 months now and haven't had a chance to mod. Your gonna get flamed for modding an I4 but don't let these guys discourage you. You can get a turbo from Ripp Mods (+$2500) or make a few ponies here and there with DIY projects. Intake, headers, exhaust, supercharger/turbo, fuel managment, nitrous.

You can try this link as see if there's any more information you can pick up off of it.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=38287

Hope i was some help.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Brujo said:
I've had my gen 3 for about 5 months now and haven't had a chance to mod. Your gonna get flamed for modding an I4

Please point out one time where we have flamed someone for modding an i4. The 5s-fe was also used in the celicas and Mr2's. I'll bet tons of them have modded their 5s-fe's.

You can get a turbo from Ripp Mods (+$2500)
Its actually a supercharger and its around 3500$$ USD.

My suggestion is....
In order of how Im thinking of doing it:
1. Springs and struts.
2. Rims
3. Engine Rebuild/tune up
4. Forced Induction.
Other "small" stuff may come in between.

Please search. You can find many good ideas on what to start w/.

·
Its still a Camry.
1991 Lexus Es250
522 Posts
CamNub said:
To tell you the truth, That kit is shitty. Too expensive and it doesn't even have an intercooler.

You could prolly put a better kit together by yourself.
Heard that turbo kit was a the grim reaper for the 5s-fe.

·
nub
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm not necessarily lookin into heavy performance upgrades(for an I4 cam) but more along the lines of making this one last me a while and still be fun/nice. thanks.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
CamNub said:
Please point out one time where we have flamed someone for modding an i4. The 5s-fe was also used in the celicas and Mr2's. I'll bet tons of them have modded their 5s-fe's.
Sorry, poor choice of words.

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
CamNub said:

My suggestion is....
In order of how Im thinking of doing it:
1. Springs and struts.
2. Rims
3. Engine Rebuild/tune up
4. Forced Induction.
Other "small" stuff may come in between.

Please search. You can find many good ideas on what to start w/.

i would also suggest a TRD or whiteline rsb along with the springs and struts. the rsb for the gen 4 camry will fit, just not the bushings, and thats easy to fix

·
Advanced Noob
2003 Highlander
1,023 Posts
yea make sure u get a good tuneup first, then start with the performance mods.
do a search, there are TONS of us with 5S's that have done stuff, from a ghetto cone filter to custom turbos.. do what you want, its your own car.
and dont hate on the 5S's, its a good strong engine, that if taken care of, can make you proud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts