Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Toyota T-100 3.4L V6 extended cab SR5 4x4
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know I’ve been posting a lot and I apologize. I don’t have any friends to ask so this my only resource for information from other Toyota owners. As y’all know I just finished a LCA bushing changeout along with a complete brake rebuild. I went to get an alignment and now my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right to drive straight. Attached is a pic of the paperwork that was provided to me. Is there anything off?
NOTE: there are no before numbers because the alignment was so far off.

·
Registered
614 Posts
They didn't do a caster sweep, there's no reading on the after. Very unprofessional.

Anyway you didn't complain of pull, so the steering wheel is off center is your only non tire wearing problem. Up to you if you want them to center it again.

Cheers from Canada!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't do a caster sweep, there's no reading on the after. Very unprofessional.

Anyway you didn't complain of pull, so the steering wheel is off center is your only non tire wearing problem. Up to you if you want them to center it again.

Cheers from Canada!
This is all Chinese to me. With that being said do you think there isn’t a caster sweep because there wasn’t a before reading? Sorry if this is a stupid question and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is all Chinese to me. With that being said do you think there isn’t a caster sweep because there wasn’t a before reading? Sorry if this is a stupid question and thanks for the reply.
Alignment readings should always include caster, notwithstanding a before reading. It wasn't pulling, so tech saved time by not performing...like I said...very unprofessional.

Best

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m a little worried about the -3 camber on the front left wheel. Seems a little out of spec. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So a truck with a solid rear axle has positive toe on the left and negative toe on the right?
If I believed those specs, I would think the rear axle mounting points are not parallel to each other.
I thought the rear axle would be 0 for camber and 0 for toe. Obviously 0 for caster with a solid straight axle.

I would start with making the rear toe 0 on both sides without any thrust angle. Either loosen the spring shackles and see if you can shift the axle more to 0 toe. Maybe loosen and retorque the front spring bolts.

The thrust angle means the truck is trying to go one way (not straight ahead) with the rear axle and the tilted wheel means it may be "crabbing" down the road.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would go back and tell them wheel is off centered (right-ish) to drive straight. Maybe the alignment person will actually drive the truck around the block and see for himself.

Yes, the Camber’s are OUT OF SPEC. Notice the HIGHLIGHTED RED box and the asterisk notation at the bottom.

Centering the steering wheel is probably hard, not impossible. Narrow the drive-up ramps and platform. The steering wheel itself has a little bit of play before the wheels move left/right.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The reason there are no caster numbers shown may be because they are out of the specified / expected limits (0.4 to 1.9 deg) for this particular car model. This can be due to damaged control arms or deformed frame, and beyond the range that can be adjusted through alignment. The high negative camber can be due to the same reasons. You should have your front suspension and frame inspected by a competent mechanic to find out the root cause of these issues.
The rear axle thrust angle (0.47 deg) is a lot, and this is the reason why your steering wheel is not centered when you're going straight. Basically, your car's body is not parallel to the road when driving straight. Again this can be just due to misaligned rear axle or due to worn out / damaged components (including the frame itself). You should have it inspected by a competent mechanic.

Overall, the numbers don't look good and you may be overdue for some significant repairs. Without knowing exactly what's wrong with your suspension, this could be a pretty dangerous (for you and other road users).

How old is your T-100 and how many miles on it? Your engine may be still running strong, but your suspension may need a major repair, costing more than what the car is worth. Remember, the fact that a car doesn't want to die doesn't mean that it shouldn't.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason there are no caster numbers shown may be because they are out of the specified / expected limits (0.4 to 1.9 deg) for this particular car model. This can be due to damaged control arms or deformed frame, and beyond the range that can be adjusted through alignment. The high negative camber can be due to the same reasons. You should have your front suspension and frame inspected by a competent mechanic to find out the root cause of these issues.
The rear axle thrust angle (0.47 deg) is a lot, and this is the reason why your steering wheel is not centered when you're going straight. Basically, your car's body is not parallel to the road when driving straight. Again this can be just due to misaligned rear axle or due to worn out / damaged components (including the frame itself). You should have it inspected by a competent mechanic.

Overall, the numbers don't look good and you may be overdue for some significant repairs. Without knowing exactly what's wrong with your suspension, this could be a pretty dangerous (for you and other road users).

How old is your T-100 and how many miles on it? Your engine may be still running strong, but your suspension may need a major repair, costing more than what the car is worth. Remember, the fact that a car doesn't want to die doesn't mean that it shouldn't.
It’s a 1996 and has 300,000 miles. It was involved in an MVA approx 15 years ago with an impact to the right side. I just replaced the whole front end (idler arm, pitman arm, inner/outer tie rods, LCA’s, shocks, and a few other things. I am thinking the frame is bent. The thing that gets me is the alignment was spot on before the LCA change out. BUT, I did get my alignment done at a different shop

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
go to a frame shop. They do a great job in the whole frame and suspsension check and they pinpoint the problems that need addressed. It is not as expensive as you might think You can do the work yourself, but at least you will know what to fix.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ok so I know I’ve been posting a lot and I apologize. I don’t have any friends to ask so this my only resource for information from other Toyota owners. As y’all know I just finished a LCA bushing changeout along with a complete brake rebuild. I went to get an alignment and now my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right to drive straight. Attached is a pic of the paperwork that was provided to me. Is there anything off?
NOTE: there are no before numbers because the alignment was so far off.
View attachment 332611
Why are you apologizing for?
There are no stupid questions on the old trucks! I like odd questions/discussions to perhaps learn something new all the time 🤠

Have you ever heard of the 3.4 crankshaft pulley just falling apart and dumping into the fan while you're driving?

Reactions: Bluffrat361

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why are you apologizing for?

There are no stupid questions on the old trucks! I like odd questions/discussions to perhaps learn something new all the time 🤠

Have you ever heard of the 3.4 crankshaft pulley just falling apart and dumping into the fan while you're driving?
Been there…. Lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I took it back to Goodyear to get re-aligned. They told me it was way off. These are the new specs

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's more like it! How does it drive now?
Like a Cadillac. So much better. Especially with the new lower control arm bushings and all new brakes. Unfortunately the rust is going to be what kills this truck. It’s only a matter of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts