Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2001 LE today, had to pull the valve cover to see if I had a sludged engine! Would this be considered normal deposits? The valve cover has more crud on it then I was expecting. My 87 Camry has over 370,000 kilometers and is absolutely spotless. (used synthetic oil for most of it's life)

Car has 81,000 kilometers. (see pic)

here is a hi-rez pic of the engine.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
that looks about right for an engine that's used dino for most of it's life

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Another question, should I do some type of oil flush/cleaner? I've never used one before and not sure of the value/dangers of doing an oil flush.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
looks like my eng when i changed the gasket thing.. but i didnt have the dark sludge or whatever on the inside top of the valve cover thing

you only have 81k
wow

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
abew330 said:
you only have 81k
wow
Yea I'm suspicious too. I couldn't find any evidence that the odo was tampered with or otherwise not legit. The engine bay looks like new, the car drives like new as well. The person that owned it traded it in for a $60,000 Infiniti M45.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
It could be that the previous owner made lots of short trips around town or had a different method of transportation.

When I was living in San Francisco, I rode my bicycle and utilized public transit a lot and I only drove 11200-12600 km (7000-8000 miles) in the 15 months I had the car. During that same time period, I put about 4000 km (2500miles) on my bicycle. I usually only drove if the weather was really bad, as in raining or below 10 C or 50 F, for my commute and the rest of the the miles on my car were for longer trips when I left town.

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
alltracman78 said:
High milage oil is supposed to have cleaners in it, you can try that.
I was thinking of that. I don't trust the so called cleaners myself. I'm still trying to figure out what's "wrong" with this vehicle. It's in pretty much mint condition inside and out, and was on the dealer lot for about 3 months. No rattles, squeaks, nothing. I actually think it's quieter than the 07 Camry I drove. Maybe not!

Just makes a person wonder why it sat around. Anyway thanks for the all info guys (and girls?)

BTW I cleaned the inside of the valve cover as much as I could with carb cleaner and a brush. Came out pretty good but I forgot to take pictures. :eek:rder:

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
haha sucker i would have stuck with toyota.. i think infinity is crappy.. nice design but i wouldnt get one

71Corolla said:
Yea I'm suspicious too. I couldn't find any evidence that the odo was tampered with or otherwise not legit. The engine bay looks like new, the car drives like new as well. The person that owned it traded it in for a $60,000 Infiniti M45.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Another question, should I do some type of oil flush/cleaner? I've never used one before and not sure of the value/dangers of doing an oil flush.
I've seen inside plenty of engines and i believe your engine's in fine shape. The little bitty sludge on the valve cover is nothin, and most of the discoloration is varnish and looks completely normal. You can see the last owner changed the oil and otherwise maintained the engine, and it's healthy inside.
DONT flush it with solvents, they are bad for the rings and bearings. Besides, that engine doesn't need a flush. If you want it squeaky clean inside just change the oil two or three times in a row and drive on, 71 corolla.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,894 Posts
looks pretty good, i wouldnt clean it. there really isnt anything to clean.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
hey, its pretty darn clean. just drain it clean and use synthetic oil. two or three changes down the road and it'll be clean.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Most oil doesnt do, and isnt intended to do, any cleaning or washing of the parts... it just has additives to prevent more dirtying up inside.
The oil does contain detergents but these are more properly called detergent/dispersants. Since they are intended to help prevent new deposits and dont do a whole lot to remove the ones that may already be there. But if you do two or three oil changes in a row you can at least get more deposits in suspension and drain them out.

And this is a lot better for your engine than dumping any kind of solvents in there with your fragile rings and bearings...some of the things people recommend doing here make me shududer i.e., dumping diesel fuel, kerosene or even ATF in the oil and then running the engine!!! :hammer: Not in any engine of mine! Think about it - do you clean your dishes by only soaking them in soapy water and then putting them away?

If the engine is truly dirty but still runs ok, pull the oil pan and valve covers, clean the best you can and then do some oil changes. And then forget all about it unless and until you want to rip it apart and do it the proper away.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Yeah with the whole additivites thing, everyone has summed it up well... and the thing is, if you dont have sludge there is no need to use them while if you do have sludge, you shouldnt use them because dislodging large pieces of sludge can cause major damage... not mentioning any other damage they can cause. So they are prity much useless in every sense of the word. The only safe way to clean it out if to get down and dirty and manually clean what you can.

As for the pics in question, Im not a complete noob... but are they REALLY that bad as some are claiming? The actual engine components are spotless, so there is no sludge problem, I would think that there is sludge on the valve cover only because some oil goes onto it during normal operation, and then cools quicker their due to the cover being in contact with the air outside, causing it to harden.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts