Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm right at 130k, and the original clutch seems to still be going strong, with no signs of slipping, even pulling a loaded trailer and some gear in the bed. It just doesn't seem right somehow. Why? Because my step-dad had the truck for the first 57k of it's life, and... he used it on a mining job, where he let every Tom, Dick, and Harry drive it, he CAN NOT drive a standard worth a shiat, and since I've owned it, I've never really gotten the feel for this clutch, as in, I slip it EVERYTIME I pull out. So, how the heck is this thing still going??
God how I would love to have another one of these trucks brand new! These were quite possibly the best built vehicles ever made. JMHO.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Mine went to 170k, I still blame the sorry no good slacker I let borrow it since it happened while he had it.

The good side was it was 500 out the door.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
489 Posts
Mine made it to about 102k. Really all depends on how you drive, and if you do a lot of city driving. I've seen cars with 280k on stock clutch. If you drive over an hour plus to work everday for 15 years...that builds up.

I do a lot of city driving and have already put 15k on mine since october '05 and it feels the same as day one. Have bled the master twice, and installed a new slave recently.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
I got 196,000 miles on my original clutch. Again, it's all about what type of driving you do. If you do a lot of off road that you slip the clutch on, you're going to wear it out faster.

·
Registered
201 Posts
mine went out on my 91 4x4 3vze at about 200k but my 94 2wd 22re just rolled over to 179k on the stock clutch and it still drives like it was new.

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
I'm pretty nasty to my clutch. When I hit the highway I drive very smoothy, but every once and a while I get the urge to pound through the gears. If I remember correctly I had it replaced at about 190k and this new one is at 213k with no problems. My brother will probably be learning to drive stick on it though, so it could suffer a shortened lifespan at the hands of a new driver. Next one is going to be a stage 1, whenever this oem one goes.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
my nissan hardbody went 286,000 not sure about the yotas.

ypu can smoke a clutch in 5 minutes if you are really pounding on the truck in a mud hole or towing some gigantic load. my uncle had an old ford f150 4x4 and i was trying to pull out some old shrubs and some small trees from their lot. the clutch burned up in like 15 min. i was only 15 and i didnt really know what i was doing but he had just redone the clutch about a year prior.i guess your shouldnt redline and dump the clutch 20 times in a row. we took the clutch apart and it litterally grenaded, you could see the blue heat marks on the flywheel too. he was pissed at me....

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
Oh, I don't dump from the redline ever. Thats my achilles heal, I never learned how to clutch drop really hard. And at this point, on brand new tires and a younger clutch, I don't have any plans to. I can tear through them like nobodys business from a 5mph roll though. I'd love to get a short throw, but at $200 it doesn't seem worth the money. I've missed 2nd to 3rd once or twice though, so I dunno.

Sorry for Hijacking by the way.

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
got a 140K on the clock of my truck and as far as I know its original. I thought it was on the way out when I got it with 129K, but it hasn't degraded much since I got it (girlfriend was a little nasty on it one day when it was loaded up for work).

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
120k on stock clutch, still going strong.

-shaeff

·
Can you kill a toyota?
94 Toyota 4x4
81 Posts
My dads 86 yoda pickup went to 263,000 before finally being replaced. My 94 4X4 was replaced at 120,000 Approximiately. It rides on 31 X10.50 with 3 inch body lift and was used as a hunting truck. So it probably isn't a good one to use to compare.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
any where between 10,000 and 1,000,000 miles.

all depends on who's driving.

in Northern Virginia most people get 100,000 to 150,000 on 4cylinder 2wd trucks. 80,000 to 130,000 on 4cyl 4wd trucks, and 60,000 to 120,000 on V6 4wd trucks.

These would be substantially higher outside of this area

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vicoor said:
any where between 10,000 and 1,000,000 miles.

all depends on who's driving.

in Northern Virginia most people get 100,000 to 150,000 on 4cylinder 2wd trucks. 80,000 to 130,000 on 4cyl 4wd trucks, and 60,000 to 120,000 on V6 4wd trucks.

These would be substantially higher outside of this area

Absolutely.

In rural Wisconsin where everything's miles and miles away from each other, I've seen people put hundreds of thousands of miles on clutches. In Chicago, where vehicles drag race to the next stop light and slam on their brakes, clutches may only last a fourth of what the rural vehicles might get.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My original clutch lasted 22 years and 167,000 miles somewhat hard miles.

One trick to get a little more life out of the clutch is to put the trans in neutral while waiting at a stop light, or whatever the case may be, for any extended amount of time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts