Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Corolla with 56K miles on it. At least that's what the odometer showed. After 1700 interstate miles the oil showed 2 qts low. I drove that trip at 70--75 m.p.h. at 85--90 degrees, rolling hills and over Appalachian Mountains, with air conditioning on. The day before I left I had the oil changed. Havoline 10W-30. When I freaked at being 2 qts low the oil change guy said, no way he made a mistake like that. The Toyota Owner's Manual talks about higher oil consumption at high speeds. But of course it won't name numbers. Is this normal? After adding 2 qts to the full point I checked 1 week later and the level shows 1/2 qt low for mainly highway miles at 55 to 60 mph. I SEE NO SMOKE FROM THE TAILPIPE. No oil leaks on driveway. No oil has been thrown out (no oily engine parts). Is this something that I will have to live with? ALSO: did my running that engine 2 qts low during that trip brutalize the engine and shorten its life? I'm thinking about going to Mobile One. 57K miles now. Lots of questions here, but when I bought this car I though I had a trouble free car for 1/4 million miles. P.S. I baby this machine.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Two quarts low is not normal at all.

My 2001 has 60,000 miles and might be down 1/4 qt at most once in a great while. I have pushed it beyond the conditions you speak of, like 90+ mph 90+ degrees for a few hours and have never been down a quart much less two.
The only time I am low is after I change the oil. I fill it up untill the stick shows full but then I have to drive it, let it sit, and put in another 1/2 quart or so depending on how patient I am puting it in.
Two quarts low is a lot, but unless your mechanic forgot to fill it up all the way you probably lost it gradually. I don't think your engine's life is shortened considerably as long as you always take good care of it. This is just an isolated incident.
I run 5 W-30 Mobile 1 since 30,000 miles and recomend it:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris Corolla S said:

The only time I am low is after I change the oil. I fill it up untill the stick shows full but then I have to drive it, let it sit, and put in another 1/2 quart or so depending on how patient I am puting it in.:
Amazing. I had a Mazda like 1500cc or something and never had an oil usage problem. Ran like a top for 250K miles until Michigan road salt ate the body alive. I'm surprised that a car with Toyota's rep uses oil like that. But otherwise I'm happy. And I'm definitely going with Mobile 1. Thanks for the reply.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Let me be clear that is the same day I change my oil, because it takes a while for it to settle.

Hopefully this problem won't persist with your Corolla. The 1zz-fe was still pretty new in 2000, it was the first year that it had vvt-i.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have also observed this. I change my oil every 3000m (am I ouerdoing it?). Last time
l used pennzoil 10w30 highmileage oil. (my 99 corolla has just over 100k miles) So car it has been 1500m since my last oil change and already used 1/2 quart of oil.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Short intervals are good. Sorry you guys are burning/losing oil. I have not experienced this but I have heard a few stories, usually from the 99-2000s...

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
I cant see how you are using so much oil to be honest with you.. I have owned/driven 4 corollas (2x88, 1 road, 1 rally, 96AWD rally and my current 95) and the only time i had ever burnt/lost oil is when i switched brands from penrite to castrol on my road car.

The rally cars were constantly running at redline and we had a few enduro stages. 3 hours was our longest stage. We only ever had to change the oil after each event (not each stage), and even that was only a precaution as we got out as much as we put in.

It may just be that the oil brand was changed recently and it's getting used to it. It even does this when you change within brands (ie. Castrol GTX-3 to GTX-2), but other than that i dont know what it could be. But it is definately not normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts