Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally managed to get the D2 coil overs installed on the Camry... This time I didn't have time to install it myself so I had a friend of mine (shop owner) to do it for me. Cost about $300 for full install including alignment, setting up the camber and to repair my torn CV boot.

I dropped by the shop frequently during the coilover install... The fitment is actually perfect. Very niced machined pieces.

The amount of adjustability though, was more than enough for me at least. Both the spring purge and the lower strut piece (? forgot name) took almost an hour to figure out...lol. I had to count the number of threads, mark it, so that we can get all 4 coilovers to turn out at identical heights. I had to make sure that I don't thread too much on either adjustment because I didn't want to compensate by having too little threads on the other piece... It's confusing to explain, but you'll understand when you actually look at the coilovers.

Also there is a polished ring piece on the threaded portion of the coilover... I didn't know what it was for, so it was just left there. I am assuming it is for mounting some brake lines or something, but I didn't see the importance of this piece.

Set the camber to -1.2 deg front and -0.8 -(-1.0) at the back -- stock rear camber I believe. Took the car for a spin... I only set the dampening to about 50% (3 out of 6 turns) to give it some break-in time. The ride is firm, and unbelievably stiff... I could honestly see the front of chassis flex as I entered a quick sharp corner. I guess it's time for some chassis reinforcement :D One of my dreams is to have a very firm ride on the Camry, and damn I am one happy guy :D

My spring rates are 13 km/mm for the front, and 11 kg/mm for the rear. We'll see how this setup goes when drive the car more later on. The car seems to be biased for oversteer (also have a whiteline SB and only 50% dampening), but I will play around until I get the right feel. But so far, I have other little problems to solve with my tuning before I can actually drive spirited :)

Pictures coming soon (tonight) :thumbup:

EDIT: took some pics tonight in a hurry though. I am gonna go take some exterior shots of the ride height tomorrow. But I didn't lower the car that much though, maybe 0.2" lower than my old "sagged" Eibach Prokits. It's almost winter, so I wanted to keep the height normal :)

Pics of coilovers -- put on some grease at the threads to prevent seizing, although the D2 comes teflon coated already. So for those guys who don't drive through insane amounts of winter salts, you can forget about putting the grease on there.

Camber Adjustment:

This is the wheel gap when the car is fully jacked up with wheels in the air! Crazy short stroke on these coilovers. Reminds me of the SuperTouring car suspension :D

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Awesome man, I can't wait to see the pics:thumbup:

·
Here
289 Posts
Sounds sweet! But I thought you had ordered the spring rates higher than 13/11 didnt you? Anyway how hard is it to change the dampening settings? Oh, how's the ride height? I ordered the same settings and I'm still awaiting for mine to come in...:(

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
sounds awesome, you gotta get out and do a run before winter now. :D

post some pics up, I'm anxious to see what everything looks like. :)

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
awesome tony... hope too hear your experience on terms of how well it does in terms of handling... :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
ooo sounds nice Tony, they make these for us 4cyl guys too right ? or is it the same as the 6cyl ? :confused: anyways cant wait to see the pictures :)

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
coo thanks, sounds good.. not bad price either, where can i order these again ?

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics are up! :D Read my original post :)

You guys should jump on this deal quick if you want coilovers for Gen3 Camry's... I would get them before the guys over at D2 runs low on supply. I mean, these are basically custom coilovers in reality considering the low number of production units.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts