Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished insalling my S/S Aries Bull Bar and it looks great. I did the job in about 45 min, with the help of my 11 yr old son. The instructions were horrible but luckily I printed out the instructions off the Westin site. Much better instructions (as I believe they are identical Bull Bars). You dont have to take off the tow hook or the OEM black skid plate as some of the instructions tell you. I got the Bull Bar off Ebay for $188. At my local Auto store (Lordco) they wanted $505 for the same bar. Its too dark outside right now to take some pics, but I might include some tomorrow

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
I ordered a black one and I should get it in a couple weeks.
Can't wait!

I was at the truck shop looking at all the accessories. They had some Westin push bars on display. And I'll have to agree - the Westin's welding work is pretty poor. No wonder they cover it up.
The Aries is a nice finish and you can't even tell the parts were welded!

·
Go Sharks!!!
06 tacoma prerunner
1,350 Posts
Never said anything about the welds failing.....

Westin uses a plastic piece that covers up the welds.
http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/BrushGuards/BullBar/Images/246/Toyota1.jpg

The aries welds are completely finished and smoothed - no plastic cover.
thats the one thing i hate about the westin, the plastic covers look cheesy and i didn't know the aries didn't have them or else i would have gotten them, lol too late now.

well that and the fact that their just exhaust tubing and would swivel right into my bumper if i hit anything harder then a marshmallow

·
One with the Force
1,521 Posts
You said that the Westin's welding work was pretty poor. I was just saying that even if they are poor, from a "quality" stand point, the tubing would likely fail before the weld. Now on an aesthetic level, that is entirely different. I assumed poor to refer to "quality" etc...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think I am going to put on any lights as I dont do much off roading. The big thing is everyone at work noticed my truck and commented on its looks after I put on the Bullbar. It really dressed it up (especially the blact sport package that virtually has no chrome) Some guys like that, but I like a bit of BLING hanging on my truck. I think I am going to spot weld the bar as I think if I kicked it hard enough it would crunch my bumper. I know its just light tubing, but I would rather replace it at $200, than have to fix my bumper.:banana:

·
Registered
A Tacoma?
432 Posts
I lightly bumped mine offroad one time and it pushed it up into the bumper... chipping and rubbing the paint off in the process.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I couldnt get the picture to load, but I did update my Avatar to show the new Bullbar and OEM tube steps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you guys think it's possible to put 2 Lightforce 140 lights on top of the Aries bull bar, will they fit? I like the looks better than the light bars out there but I don't want to block the license plates by putting the lights in the middle and give the popo an excuse to pull me over. I need some lights for when I go surf fishing at night in the middle of nowhere, and there's allot of debree sometimes that can puncture a tire or real soft sand covered by seaweed.

·
Go Sharks!!!
06 tacoma prerunner
1,350 Posts
I know its just light tubing, but I would rather replace it at $200, than have to fix my bumper.:banana:
sorry but anything that will destroy your bull bar will damage your bumper as well, the mounts just swivel, so it offers ZERO protection. The bar is just going to slam right into your bumper, a hard mounted light bar would actually offer better protection, i still wish i went with that route instead of my westin, but hey it still does it's function quite nicely which is look nice and give you a spot to mount lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts