Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just ordered a set of front Japanese manufactured Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads.
I'm tired of the brake dust.
Installed a set of Raybestos Quiet Stops Ceramics on an Expedition I owned and brake dust was cut by at least 90%.
Great braking and very little brake dust.:thumbup:
Looked into Hawk ceramics but being it's an '07 there isn't many options.
My buddy who is a mechanic says the Akebono is a great pad used by Japanese vehicle manufacturers.
I never heard of the brand.

·
Under Reconstruction
4,349 Posts
Joe B said:
Just ordered a set of front Japanese manufactured Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads.
I'm tired of the brake dust.
Installed a set of Raybestos Quiet Stops Ceramics on an Expedition I owned and brake dust was cut by at least 90%.
Great braking and very little brake dust.:thumbup:
Looked into Kawk cweramics but being it's an '07 there isn't many options.
My buddy who is a mechanic says the Akebono is a great pad used by Japanese vehicle manufacturers.
I never heard of the brand.
Be sure to write a review when you get them installed. :naughty:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PtBaller said:
OEM toyota pads are made by akebono if im not mistaken.

That's what I was told.
$68 delivered to my door.

Here's an article on Akebono.

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/company/media_center/news_releases/031104_01.html

"Bolstered by the early success of ProACT, the company expects the Akebono Premium line of ceramic brake pads to make a similar impact on the market. Compared to traditional pads, the Akebono Premium ceramic brand features improved durability; superior noise, fade and recovery performance; less rotor wear; and reduced wheel dusting – all contributing to restored driver comfort and confidence."

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Epsilon said:
Be sure to write a review when you get them installed. :naughty:
Doing the install probably on Super Bowl weekend.
The pads will take awhile to wear in for a good review..
They were great on a Expedition I owned.

With 5700 miles,I'm not going to cut the rotors.

·
Registered
2008 Prius
23 Posts
Where did you get them?

JOE B I have a 07 SE V6 . I looked at the web site but did not see where to order them.I have put organic pads on my Chev trk and Acura and they are great little to no dust I usually get them at NAPA. Any help would be appreciated. Sgt Tip.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sgt Tip said:
JOE B I have a 07 SE V6 . I looked at the web site but did not see where to order them.I have put organic pads on my Chev trk and Acura and they are great little to no dust I usually get them at NAPA. Any help would be appreciated. Sgt Tip.

I've used organic pads on my '69 Corvette which I just sold.
Stopped the brake squealing problem I had with semi-mettalics but they wear quickly.
OK for a show and cruise night car but not for a daily driver IMO.
I ordered the ceramics at tirerack.com

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
a Toyota camry, daaa
1,778 Posts
Let me know how it goes Joe B, I'm pretty fed up with the dust, and my rims are a pain to clean...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got the Akebono ceramic pads today from the Tire Rack.
Part # ACT 1222 if you want to search for a cheaper price.

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
a Toyota camry, daaa
1,778 Posts
Joe B if you are going to replace the pads, a tutorial with some pics would help....for the people who wants to do it themselves....(like me, hahaha)
Thanks

·
97 Avalon Silver Spruce
97 Avalon
276 Posts
I had the Akebono ceramics from tirerack.com on my car, they are the worst pads I have EVER had on a car. They fade like crazy and they wore out in 6 months! I learned my lesson and went back to Toyota OEM, so far so good. It might be a diff formulation for your camry but for my Avalon they were terrible

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
parimento1 said:
I had the Akebono ceramics from tirerack.com on my car, they are the worst pads I have EVER had on a car. They fade like crazy and they wore out in 6 months! I learned my lesson and went back to Toyota OEM, so far so good. It might be a diff formulation for your camry but for my Avalon they were terrible

Wow!
That's surprising considering the Akebono ceramics are OEM pads for Nissan cars one being the Maxima,some of GMC and Chevy '07 pickup models and others new vehicles..
In doing some interent research I haven't found any real negatives with Akebono ceramic pads.
Akebono has been a supplier of pads to 50-60% of automakers for years.
These pads are highly recommended on vehicle forums.
Maybe like you said there is a new formulation since you installed your set.
How long ago and many miles wee on the rotors when you installed the pads?
Did you cut the rotors?
Just doesn't sound right that a company like Akebono,well respected in the auto industry would have their top of the line brake pads wear after 6 months.
Ceramic pads last much longer than standard pads.
Strange situation.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would cut the rotors before installing the new pads, a couple hundred miles and I'd say go for it but nearly 6K and the rotors/pads on it are pretty well seated... The new pads will go a lot longer if you scape the rotors, getting them early you shouldn't need to remove too much material.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
onsknht said:
I would cut the rotors before installing the new pads, a couple hundred miles and I'd say go for it but nearly 6K and the rotors/pads on it are pretty well seated... The new pads will go a lot longer if you scape the rotors, getting them early you shouldn't need to remove too much material.

I'd hate to cut the rotors as they're thin already from the factory and hate to have them warp.
Maybe I'll just give them a light scape like you mention if they're rough or not.
I'll just let my friend's shop do the install if the rotors will be scaped.

Thanks for the advice,onsknht.

·
97 Avalon Silver Spruce
97 Avalon
276 Posts
Rotors and pads were brand new out of the box...the pads just felt very "slippery" it was very odd, i thought maybe they needed to break in..but they never did

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ceramic pad materials have came a very long way in a short time. Materials have came and materials have went. Alot of high performance pads are even ceramic now, TRD pads are ceramic. A few yrs ago they would never held up in race conditions. Just pulled my first OEM set off my 07 4runner with 80K. Still had pad but close to the wear tab so I changed them. Back to OEM/Akabono without a doubt.
Theres two grades of Toy OEM pads today, but several suppliers through yrs. Over the yrs Aisin, Sumitomo, Nissin, Akabono etc.. Akabono makes most for Toy today and make the highend line.
TRD ?? Some say StopTech? But that I dont know?
I dont care either because in my race days I learned most high performance materials are designed to grip and hold like glue when needed without any care about rotor life or long life for the owner. They stop on a dime without a doubt but performance or race cars are built to toss out most pads/rotors/tires and any other parts not in 100% top condition before the next race. I dont do that anymore, too old.
Just say'n, not that its been mentioned here anywere. Its just the way people think though due to advertising. When I hear, "Get the performance pads", I hear the echo "we need rotors soon" ...lol
You know the type, they put slotted rotors on a street car and complain the pads suck as they never lasted 3 months. Well' duhh? They shave pad off on every stop.. Slots are for track use to clean pads for best stopping time, then pads are pitched in trash after a race.
Oh' well'
Toyota/Akabono sell pads that can last a long time, low dust (wheel paints safe) and stop on a dime whenever I need them in rain,snow & sun...Im very happy with that and thank them for alot of hard work to do these feats!
Thats my rant for the week...lol Get back to work....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts