Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
new celica owner
1990 celica GT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just picked up a 91 gt 5 spd. anyone got some speakers for it? mine are blown :(
pics up soon.
um anyone else have the little plug that goes on your intake? my airbox when i took it off last night to put on my cold air intake. it doesnt have one. i need one to splice for better A/F mixture
also need a driver side turn signal corner light

·
Registered
93 Celica GT Coupe
350 Posts
just picked up a 91 gt 5 spd. anyone got some speakers for it? mine are blown :(
pics up soon.
um anyone else have the little plug that goes on your intake? my airbox when i took it off last night to put on my cold air intake. it doesnt have one. i need one to splice for better A/F mixture
I might have that plug for you.... let me check around, i'll update on monday.

·
Registered
93 Celica GT Coupe
350 Posts

·
Registered
93 Celica GT Coupe
350 Posts

·
Registered
93 Celica GT Coupe
350 Posts
ive got that on the car so.... um if there is anything aftermarket i am interested. i dont needd speakers i just picked up 2 6x9s and they sound really good.
Uhmm....how did you fit those?

·
Registered
91' Celica GTS
208 Posts
I too would like to see those speakers installed in the interior.

If you want better sound using an older head unit but don't want to commit to a good system, get a pair of 6.5" DUALs for the rear deck. They can be had for $30 and don't distort when pushed. Theyre not the best sound, but until you get an amplifier to deal with road noise, it won't really matter what is installed.

If you are upgrading, go component, not 2-way/3-way speakers. You have tweeter connections on the back deck and behind your door mirrors, use them. The difference in sound with having your highs closer to your listening level is HUGE. You can pinpoint high frequency sounds better then lows, so separate them. Component systems are less likely to distort anyways. Grab a set of Alpine SPS-600Cs or Infinity 6020Ss and match with an amplifier. I wired mine right under the passenger seat where the System 10 Amplifier is normally installed. Put 2-way/3-way speakers in a Civic, use components in a Celica.

Just make sure you're not wiring your system like the idiot who owned my car before me did. He ran a cut up extension cable from the rear speakers in the back to a couple bookshelf speakers in the trunk. Luckily the wires in the Celica are a decent gauge and didn't melt. The head unit did melt because there was 8 ohms of impedance.. As long as you have only the 6x9s running off a circuit at a time instead of in addition to another pair, you won't destroy something.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
^The higher impedance in fact reduce current draw. The head unit melt because he had it at max volume most of the time due to about half volume output from the speakers.

What I'll do to speakers in 5th gen Celica:
Remove the front 4". They suck. No matter what you replace them with, they don't put out enough sound and always distorted.
Remove door 8" subs. They're always blown. Replace them with 6.5" or 5x7 or 6x8. Most current 8" sub are too deep for the door. Its easy to cut a piece of wood to mount smaller speakers.
Rear are 6.5" easy to replace.
Since I've replaced the head unit, I've removed the amp and no sound to door speakers. So I'll wire the front to the doors.
Stock wires for front and rear are filtered. Tweeter will get high freq and the rest go to other speakers.

·
new celica owner
1990 celica GT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uhmm....how did you fit those?
thats the funy part they sound really good for being where the 6.5s are supposed to be, considering they dont fit. i thought about cutting into the back and mounting the 6x9s there. but i got to get my trunk fixed first. kind of a ghetto setup tho. im goin to get the 6.5s later on in the week. im also looking for a trunk lid for a coupe if someone has one. mines got two holes in it

·
Registered
91' Celica GTS
208 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.

Less impedance means lower resistance and higher wattage to the speakers. More impedance means higher resistance and less wattage to the speakers, meaning you have to turn the stereo up higher and run much more power trying to produce an acceptable sound.

I am running a 200w amplifier (4 channels @ 50w, 4 ohms) to power the front and rear speakers. The rear is an Alpine component system with 1" tweeters wired into the deck. I found a nice discontinued pair of 4" Alpine's to go in the dash. I have tried other systems in the car, (Infinitiy, JL Audio, Blaunkput) and this is the best balanced setup. The amplifier has built in crossovers, so I just tweaked everything until I sculpted an idea sound shape. I just need to seal airleaks behind the 1/2" Onkyo mirror tweeters (6th gen mirrors on a 5th gen Celica) and balance a pair of 8" door woofers. I know I will need to dampen the doors before I install those along with a mono amplifier, so I am holding off on that. Right now the door has two 6.5" 2-ways running off the head unit with a low pass filter. Think makeshift midbass. I also rewired things so I am using 12 gauge wire not the stock wiring for all those. The setup is actually really cost effective and I couldn't be happier with the quality. Sounds great from Jazz, to DnB, to Classical, to Punk. The bass thumps not as strong as I would want it, and I know I have sacrificed some lower frequencies to get that pop. I'll update you when I install the shallow mount door woofers. No sacrificing trunk space for me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts