Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a used 2006 Tacoma TRD DC 4X4 6spd with 40,000kms.

I've done a fair amount of reading and found that some of my
concerns have come up. That being said, I do not have the
greatest sense of how concerned I should be or possible fixes.

Is there any TSB's that I should applying?

I see that there is a TSB for the rear leafs.

Here are my initial concerns.

1. There is a fair amount of surface rust on the frame, leaf
springs, rear end, etc. Is there anything I should be doing
about this?

2. Clutch play - there is quite a bit of side to side play
when pressing the clutch. The clutch itself seems quite solid,
just the actual pedal feel is ackward. Again any fixes for this?

3. Squeaky clutch

4. The 4.0 engine emits a slight tick at idle, from what I have
read this seems to normal. Not sure, seems a little loud to me.
There is also a decent amount of whine coming from the engine in
first gear (10-25km/h) that disappears when pressing the clutch.
Is this normal?

In the end .. the clutch play is what bothers me most.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
:welcome: Keep searching and read! And make a educated decision based on what you read and researched.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been reading for over 3 hours.

The items that I have read conflicting reports on are the engine idle tick and the frame rust.

Some people say the tick is not normal while others say that this is common with all 4.0's. Same story for the frame rust, some say that it needs to be fixed to prevent frame rot while others say that this is common and the only issues is that the internet forums are feeding fear.

I was hoping to get a third (or fourth, fifth....) opinion.

I have yet to find any fix to the clutch play as the TSB seems to correct engagement point.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Clutch play is normal, you can take the pedal apart very easily and grease the bushing's to stop the squeeking. The factory did not grease them, mine has been quiet every since I greased them.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
The frame rust issue at this point is basically cosmetic - and looks terrible I might add. Each spring I usually put a fine wired cupped brush on my angle grinder and rough up the frame rails, and try to do my best with the leafs, rear axle, cross members, etc. Next a little red oxide primer and semi gloss Tremclad rust paint. Looks a hell of allot better for the sake of a few hours, and hopefully helps in the long run.

As for the engine tick, it IS normal. There was a TSB that involved replacing both exhaust manifolds due to an exhaust tick. What some fail to realize is that the TSB wasn't designed to solve the engine tick, rather a small tick that was the result of an exhaust design flaw at RPM's above idle. I had the exhaust valve TSB performed and really didn't see a difference with either.

Rear leafs TSB - get it done if you can. While it doesn't make a night and day difference in payload capacity, it does help a little and firms up the ride.

Clutch play - can't help you on that one, but I know a co-worker had this issue and I believed was solved as a TSB. I can't comment on long term, but he was happy the day he got it back.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been reading for over 3 hours.

The items that I have read conflicting reports on are the engine idle tick and the frame rust.

Some people say the tick is not normal while others say that this is common with all 4.0's. Same story for the frame rust, some say that it needs to be fixed to prevent frame rot while others say that this is common and the only issues is that the internet forums are feeding fear.

I was hoping to get a third (or fourth, fifth....) opinion.

I have yet to find any fix to the clutch play as the TSB seems to correct engagement point.
Spend some days on here then you will have an idea.

Just search, read and develop your own opinion - most everything has been covered. Of course you will have differing opinions on everything, conflicting information etc.

I've got rust on my truck (I don't worry about it), my engine has the 4.0 'tick' (what's that again?) and I did get the TSB done (you have 3 leaf or 4?)

READ READ AND READ!!!

EDIT - forgot about the clutch, got a TSB done on mine a while back, helped a bit but not much. It's all in the URD short shifter...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is the Toyota v6 & Lexus RS350 v6 the same engine? Thats what I have heard somewhere? I may be wrong tho,but if they are, my 350 does not tick @ all ?

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
The trucks use different V6 engines than the cars/vans/crossovers. The current truck V6, 1GR-FE, is a 4.0L. The current Lexus RX, Highlander, and Sienna have a 3.5L V6.

All Toyota V6's tick, even the ones in the Lexus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts