Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as i was staring into my engine compartment i was wondering how would i be able to get more power into this motor(3vz-e). I heard on yotatech.com that the intake was a really bad setup and the air really get banged up while trying to reach the pistons. My question is has anyone thought of customizing the intake manifold of the 3vz to make it almost like the 5vz but a lil shorter. it would most likely but a really expensive project but i was just thinking! i would think that would free up alot more horsepower and allow the motor to breathe more and plus adding weazys cams also on top of that adding a remote turbo i think you prolly have one bad ass 3vze of course you would need to get o/s valves and new headbolts from engbldr. heres a pic of what im trying to say sry for the peice of crap drawing, hey i just got off werk! i really do hope you guy at least understand what im trying to say!

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Your mouth's writing checks your body can't cash boy... :bash:

By the time you do all of that, you could a mildly built Chevy 350 with 2 times the horsepower. And then, if in 6 months you want more there are 50 different ways you could spend a grand and get 300 more horsepower out of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about a upgrading it to a newer 3.4 or the toy v-8. the 3.0 is a weak motor and putting $ into it is just a waste of money. Keep it stock unit is breaks and then get what you can afford.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
You can only put a, cough.... chevy,

cough.. cough....... in your truck if ovrrdrv bench presses it first:naughty:

There are a lot of variables involved with designing a new intake. Intake runner length, diameter and volume all have an effect on torque charateristics. generally shorter fatter moves the RPM band up. It would easy to end up with a manifold that is tuned to a range that does not match the rest of your engine and loose power throughout the rpm band.

Now that does not mean it cannot be done.

If you are planning to turbo the motor, I would do that first. forced induction by design overcomes to some degree the inefficiency of flow in engines.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
interesting concept, but Vicoor makes a good point also.

As for the WHY, well, Shoes, like me, lives in California, nad changing to a different powere plant is alot more complicated than just changing motor mounts and ECU's. We have to clear conversions with "referees", and they are not always the easiest to deal with. Not thta it cannot be done, but it is a red tape kinda process. Stoopis emissions laws.

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea over here its a tad bit gay! but viccor you do make a great point! but would you think it would worth it and would you think it would give the motor alot more power or just a lil??? and do you know where how this could be done! thanks viccor for your knowledge!

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Shoes,
what kind of metal fabrication skills and equipment do you have.

An aluminum plenum would require a TIG welder and at least a good die grinder and a lot of patience. This could also be done with mild steel and an oxy/acetylene outfit. You would have to figure the dimensions you want get tubing and sheet to fit your requirements. Fabricate the flanges out of thicker plate by drilling and grinding by hand (unless you have access to CNC equipment). Then weld it all up to fairly close tolerances

As far as design parameters, I'm sure you could find literature on the topic from some hotrodding /engine building books.

This is actually something that I plan to do for my 22RE

Here is a link to a page that shows the concept

http://toyotaperformance.com/intake.htm

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Vicoor said:
cough.. cough....... in your truck if ovrrdrv bench presses it first:naughty:

Are we talking about with pistons, crank and heads or just the block?

I bet I could get off at least a few with just the block....

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i plan on learning how to tig weld, but i was think about that approach also that was on the website! i just wanna see how much power it would make n i think it woud be kool n have a good time learning more about this engine~!

·
One with the farce
3,523 Posts
ovrrdrive said:
Your mouth's writing checks your body can't cash boy... :bash:

By the time you do all of that, you could a mildly built Chevy 350 with 2 times the horsepower. And then, if in 6 months you want more there are 50 different ways you could spend a grand and get 300 more horsepower out of it.
Quote of the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts