Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 camry le
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a regular stock replacement K&N air filter in my stock intake on my gen 3. I notice a different sound over the regular paper filter and possibly some better gain but it could just be in my head. I was wondering would it be better performance wise if I got a weapon r intake? I know its a short ram and apparently are cars have stock cold air intakes. Some say there are gains in the low rpms and a better sound but some others say that you actually lose power from the warmer air and have decreased mpg. I want to know everyones input/experiences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cold air means more condensed air, which means more oxygen per cubic inch, and oxygen is the stuff in the air that the motor burns.

As far as gains go, the K&N will give likely give you the best efficiency per dollar spent, but it's difficult to say without testing the particular model car. I've got a thread going where I'm keeping track of MPG in between tune-up items and minor mods, but I haven't gotten to a K&N air filter yet (though I plan to). The short ram will sound better, but again, without actual tests, it's hard to say if it will be better than the filter or not.

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
957 Posts
id say for performance, go with a k&n drop in with stock box.
for sound you can go with a cold air or short ram intake.

i bought a $56 short ram intake off ebay and it feels like a lost a lot of low end torque but gained
ever so slightly right before shifts high on the rev band. ($12 filtercharger kit was separate)

heat soak + humidity kills intake performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.