Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the difference in terms of performance between K&N air filter and K&N cold air intake?

I have a 94 truck w/ 22Re motor and I am in a process of looking into getting a K&N air filter product.

I have seen a pic. of K&N cold air intake, it only has the cone shaped air filter and an adaptor to the existing air intake hose.

I don't see any advantage of using the cold air intake over a K&N air filter.

Any input or comment is greatly appreicated

:)
 

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
Joined
·
489 Posts
dsulu said:
...I don't see any advantage of using the cold air intake or the K&N air filter...

Fixed. You're better off to leave the stock paper in. Much better filtration. Also, whatever study you have read saying a K&N helps is retarded. It doesn't add any power, no matter how much someone claims the ass dyno showed it did. Save your 50 bucks for the drop in, and like 180 for the whole kit and buy a purolator 13 dollar paper. MUCH more surface area, and they'll flow the exact same. Your motor can only flow as much as it can suck in. Period.

;)
 

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
toyotanation is the reason i spent 11 dollars on a new filter haha. f*** K&N, it should be O&P for over-priced
 

·
BlackBayou'83Sr54x4
Pickup
Joined
·
40 Posts
Stick with stock

Those K & N filters do more harm than good. over a period of time the filter's dirt and grime pass threw the filter and eventally clogs the airflow meter on the vent tube which will throw an engine light on newer trucks. Take it from a guy who works in a toyota shop stick with a regualr air filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
CarbonRevo said:
Fixed. You're better off to leave the stock paper in. Much better filtration. Also, whatever study you have read saying a K&N helps is retarded. It doesn't add any power, no matter how much someone claims the ass dyno showed it did. Save your 50 bucks for the drop in, and like 180 for the whole kit and buy a purolator 13 dollar paper. MUCH more surface area, and they'll flow the exact same. Your motor can only flow as much as it can suck in. Period.

;)
so why don't dragsters have air filters?????????
 

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
SNapperMx said:
so why don't dragsters have air filters?????????
cuz their dragsters. a few races and the whole engine gets a rebuild, not a single bolt goes unreplaced. dirt means nothing to them.
 

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
Joined
·
489 Posts
Dragsters are a kind of forced induction. Not to mention, those motors don't get ENOUGH air at 300mph, to the incredible 19" rotors in the supercharger.

Also, most dragsters are only on a track for max of 30 seconds including burnout and reverse back to line, and the sprint down. They also travel at 300mph and the butterflies are only about 3" across a piece so not much is going to get trapped. Plus, when numerous gallons of nitro are being dumped into each cylinder every second, a little bug or scrap of metal is going to be nothing to the compression and heat they make. Vehicles we have come with air filters because we sometimes drive down rocky roads and the like, you don't take a dragster down hill billy dukes of hazzard country at 300 mph! haha

Only reason a turbo car has a air filter is to keep particles out of the impeller, to keep from ripping the turbine to shreds sending microscopic particles through the whole intake and in to the motor. The same goes for any regular car and truck, but it's basically to just keep particles out of the engine.

Read up on dragsters and some of the stats...you'll be amazed. Especially how their fuel pumps can drain the average 20,000 gallon pool in like 10 mins. ;)
 

·
www.bodybuilding.com
Joined
·
254 Posts
I got the downey cold air intake and it works well so far. Looks good too! However I clean mine about once every 2 months just to be safe
 

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
I tested my truck with the stock filter and drop in K&N by checking the Vf voltage before and after the swap. at idle there is no difference but at cruise and under load there is an increase in fuel correction indicating more air flow.

Now the "cold air" kit is stupid. how do you get cold air from under the hood.

There is a direct correlation between power and intake air temp so if you are sucking in heated underhood air you are losing power period!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Vicoor said:
I tested my truck with the stock filter and drop in K&N by checking the Vf voltage before and after the swap. at idle there is no difference but at cruise and under load there is an increase in fuel correction indicating more air flow.

Now the "cold air" kit is stupid. how do you get cold air from under the hood.

There is a direct correlation between power and intake air temp so if you are sucking in heated underhood air you are losing power period!
yeah but it's more then just temperature. you got flow restriction and temperature. some vehicles come with "cold air intakes" stock like my celica.
 

·
Vand
92' P/U 4x4
Joined
·
180 Posts
I have a K&N air filter in mine, I did not notice a difference, only until i added an exhaust that opened up the air induction a little.
 

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
i made my own cold air intake and it actually pulls cold air! its in the fender in front of the tire. Yes i no i could hydrolock my motor on rain dayz but with the air filter on there shes been runnin great! well heres a pic of how it looks! But on cold dayz when my 3vz is all warmed up, she has alot more power!


 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top