Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend a Good and Cheap site for a K&N Cold Air Intake system for an 06 Tacoma 4.0L.

Thx

·
Registered
456 Posts
what do you want to gain from the intake? there is no proof that it increases horsepower or fuel efficiency (from what I have read) but some people are happy with how their truck sounds. I wouldn't get it if you are banking on enhanced performance. just my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to be one of the cool People that have them...Plus I can't find anything else to buy for the Truck. :lol:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Revans310 said:
I just want to be one of the cool People that have them...Plus I can't find anything else to buy for the Truck. :lol:
You can't get any more honest than that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Revans310 said:
I would save the money and put it towards audio gear even if it's just an amp and a pair of 6 1/2" component speakers. I would get much more enjoyment out of that. :)

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
lZl jody lZl said:
what do you want to gain from the intake? there is no proof that it increases horsepower or fuel efficiency (from what I have read) but some people are happy with how their truck sounds. I wouldn't get it if you are banking on enhanced performance. just my opinion.
Well, I either can't do math or I got a >2mpg gain. And since I'm an engineering professor, I'm betting on the latter.:D I don't know many Taco owners who get over 21mpg daily with the stock air box.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
lZl jody lZl said:
I would save the money and put it towards audio gear even if it's just an amp and a pair of 6 1/2" component speakers. I would get much more enjoyment out of that. :)
Do you know which speaker/amp manufacturer's provide the coolest window stickers?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also got a 1 or 2 mpg increase. That and I like the sound better than stock. Feels like more power and better response, but without an actual hp test who knows. From what Ive read even if you do see a hp increase it could just be a testing variable anyways. At any rate I dont really give a crap if it gives a 5 or 10 hp increase since that would hardly be a noticable increase and I dont really plan on drag racing a 4X4 pickup. Then again how may people with after market suspensions plan on doing much offroad racing or how many people with high end stereos plan on competing. If you like it its not a waste so enjoy whatever mods you do. As for the first question I couldnt find any sites to save me much over the dealer price after shipping and everything else. It seems they all suck you in with the price then nail you with the shipping.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
jcatman said:
Well, I either can't do math or I got a >2mpg gain. And since I'm an engineering professor, I'm betting on the latter.:D I don't know many Taco owners who get over 21mpg daily with the stock air box.
I'm a k&n skeptic that gets 28mpg from my 4-banger, but would consider one if it was good for 2mpg. I have a BSME, convince me. I use a scanguage and MPG spreadsheet to track my mileage. I'm assuming you've used some type of tracking to determine a >2mpg gain?

21mpg does seem high for a truck with a lift, bigger tires and a roof rack, how much mpg gain do you attribute to the torza top, that's a tonneau right? Any estimate of what the lift and tires took away?

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
worthywads said:
I'm a k&n skeptic that gets 28mpg from my 4-banger, but would consider one if it was good for 2mpg. I have a BSME, convince me. I use a scanguage and MPG spreadsheet to track my mileage. I'm assuming you've used some type of tracking to determine a >2mpg gain?

21mpg does seem high for a truck with a lift, bigger tires and a roof rack, how much mpg gain do you attribute to the torza top, that's a tonneau right? Any estimate of what the lift and tires took away?
I should rephrase that statement to read "V6 Taco owners".

No, I used no software to track my gas mileage. I don't have that kind of time, nor am I that worried about it. If I was, I would have purchased a 2WD I4. I used a simple system of checking the mileage with every full tank, and started recording those values after 5K miles on odometer. Now, I if I used the same method of measurement before the mod as after, is that not a controlled equation? Do I really need software for that? Just think, with the money you spent on those 2 programs to just monitor you mileage, you could have had an intake that is improving it.:)

I was getting just over 17mpg from new till the first mod (bed cover). On the next "reading", I showed a >1mpg gain. During the next few weeks, I derived those same numbers. After the K&N mod, I started showing over 3mpg gains at first, then it slid to just over 2mpg on the next (2) tanks, as I assume the ECU adjusted itself to compensate. I now check it aprx once a month, and get the same numbers, +/- .75mpg. I have 14k miles on my truck. Now, unless the ECU just happened to adjust, or the pistons seated at the exact same times I added the mods, I am giving the mods the credit for my increases.

I don't know what you want to hear to convince you. And I'm not trying to. Again, I don't care, I'm just stating my findings. I'm not an ME. I'm an automated systems and robotics guy. Or, as my ME and SE coworkers say, a SYSE. (That's a joke son. Funny ha ha)

BTW- why does every statement someone makes on this topic get called into question? Why would people lie about something as trivial as truck modifications and gas mileage? And, does it really matter? Is there an award for "Most Intuitive Tacoma Owner Whilst Achieving the Highest Gas Mileage With No Modifications"? Or just a bunch of aftermarket intake haters?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
worthywads said:

You are already getting 1 mpg over the EPA rating. Quit while you're ahead. Continue to be a skeptic. You must be doing something right.

BTW- why does every statement someone makes on this topic get called into question? Why would people lie about something as trivial as truck modifications and gas mileage? And, does it really matter? Is there an award for "Most Intuitive Tacoma Owner Whilst Achieving the Highest Gas Mileage With No Modifications"? Or just a bunch of aftermarket intake haters?
I'm going with the latter. No one asked for an opinion. But it's given anyway.
If you didn't already know, everyone here has a BSME and has been a mechanic or working at f-ing Jiffy Lube for 25 years and have been working on cars since before Henry Ford released the Model T. They are never wrong.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
boone88rr said:
You are already getting 1 mpg over the EPA rating. Quit while you're ahead. Continue to be a skeptic. You must be doing something right.

I'm going with the latter. No one asked for an opinion. But it's given anyway.
If you didn't already know, everyone here has a BSME and has been a mechanic or working at f-ing Jiffy Lube for 25 years and have been working on cars since before Henry Ford released the Model T. They are never wrong.
I am starting to see this. I am getting tired of defending myself on a board I come to for fun and info. I've virtually been called a liar 3 times in the month I've been coming here, and I only have like 26 posts!:disappoin What a welcome wagon.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
jcatman said:
I am starting to see this. I am getting tired of defending myself on a board I come to for fun and info. I've virtually been called a liar 3 times in the month I've been coming here, and I only have like 26 posts!:disappoin What a welcome wagon.
You may have noticed that K&N and intakes in general are a hot topic here. There are as many or more happy K&N owners (and a few disappointed ones) here that say they get no mpg improvement or a drop in mpg. I guess those that love to hear the roar:rolleyes: will get less mpg.

I guess I could take offense at boone88rr calling me a liar about my BSME, but I don't, degrees don't mean shit, I brew beer for a living:whatwhat:, after 13 years of engineering I never liked anyway. I know a lot about slaughtering beef and pork though.:eek:

This is the second time someone's indirectly called me a liar here, if you took what I said as calling you a liar, you took me wrong. Maybe I'm taking someone else wrong?

Anyways, thanks for the info on you mpg.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I wasn't saying that you don't have a BSME. I'm sure you do. Nothing you said gave me the impression otherwise. My mistake. I think it's a little odd that you are getting better than the EPA ratings but that is all. Care to share your secrets?

I'm sorry but I think anyone would get offended at "I have a BSME, convince me". Who the hell are you and why do I have to convince you of anything?!?

The question was "where can I buy this part cheap?" not another retread of why or why not intakes are good, bad, kill babies, harm the enviornment, rape your sister, whatever. That's it, end of thread.

I just find it funny that people on this forum, in general, like to throw out the fact that they are an engineer or a mechanic whenever their opinion is questioned.

I have a BSEE but you don't see me bring it up every time someone has a question about amps, speakers, lighting, etc.

If degrees don't mean shit... why were you so quick to bring it up?

·
Registered
456 Posts
jcatman said:

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
lZl jody lZl said:

Let us know when you actually have your truck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.