Toyota Nation Forum banner

Keep it or put $ into it? That is the question...

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LynchburgCSI 
#1 · (Edited)
Need your opinion. Have posted quite a few threads of late, why not another.

Bought this '97 LE from the original owner 4 years ago with 183k on the clock. Every service record, incredible shape mechanically, cosmetically very good. Have driven it for four years, putting on 27k in the process. Was my oldest daughter's first car. Has had one minor accident (front bumper cover had to be replaced) and a few things here and there (front pipe/cat, some engine electrical, brake booster, tranny service, brakes etc.) Just recently got two new tires and an alignment, battery & alternator (did the last two myself). Did an oil change today and sent a sample off for analysis. When it comes back I'll have more data to make a decision with but basically I'm wondering if I should keep it or not.

I know this car, well maintained, can easily go 300K & beyond. It's a second car, only I drive it, so no kids are at risk of being stranded. Rides wonderfully and I just love the thing. That said, with a looming head gasket repair (or worse) on the horizon, plus the fact I know it will need exhaust work soon, as well as possibly some rear suspension work (clanking sound - guy I know swears it's a sway bar). Interior is nearly perfect though I do have a front seat coming in from a junkyard in Texas because the reclining mechanism is bad. Paint on the hood is starting to go - blistering and cracking - rust will be here soon. :(

I really love this body style of Camry. If I were to get another it would be a one-owner 2001. I see them from time to time. I am just concerned more things will continue to go. It's a 13 year old car with a ton of miles. It's understandable.

In many ways the '97 is the perfect second car for us, simple, efficient, not too complicated. But depending on what ends up happening with my head gasket / oil leak situation, I'm just wondering if I should find her another home.

What do you all think?

-kj-

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.