Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install my Kenwood 7140 Nav unit tonight. I have a scosche dash kit and wiring harness (for JBL). Is there anything special to do with the antenna? The harness seems very simple and I feel like im missing something....maybe I just expected it to be more difficult. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks! Jason

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Do you have the JBL system in your car? If so, the wiring harness is pretty simple, just a box with maybe three or four wires, and some RCAs.

I ran my GPS antenna above my clock, to the front of the windshield.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, im done but not without minor complications. The biggest was the FM reception issue. Im not the only one who had this problem, since there is a powered booster that is not always labeled on the aftermarket harness....and the wire doesnt even exist on the Scosche harness I bought. After some research here and a call to Kenwood (no help at all), I called a couple of shops. I finally talkes to someone willing to help and he looked it up. Turns out its the orange wire that is pig tailed with the antenna wire. Connect the blue power antenna wire from the head unit harness to it and it powers the antenna amp. The other issue I had was my fault. I thought I could use my Iphone through the USB on the HU. You need a $30 ipod adapter for it to work. All in all, it looks pretty good. The Scosche wiring kit left a little to be desired, but the dash kit fits well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Scosche kit actually looks better than the Metra kit I have seen pics of. The Metra kit has a very small bezel around the HU that has uneven gaps. Although slight, my eyes are always attracted to imperfections and it would drive me nuts. Scosche kit doesnt have that. Im pretty happy with the kit....and the silver is as close to OEM color as youre gonna see. I will snap a few pics when I get a chance.

Oh, yes to JBL question Sean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Youre right it does look good. The pic I saw was the same kit, but the gaps around the small inner bezel made it look bad. I think it wasnt installed as well as it could be. The Scosche kit does not have that bezel, so thats one less thing to be mal-fitting....thats all im saying. Did you use the dimming circuit on your HU? Mine is still brighter than I like at night, even with the brightness turned down. If so, what wire did you tap into on your car?

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To dim the HU. At night, Its still a bit too bright for my liking even though I have the HU internal dimmer at the lowest setting. The wiring harness that came with it has a wire labeled Dimmer. Just wondering if I could wire that to a dimmer circuit on my Camry. I would include pics, but I dont have a digital camera where I am staying now.

·
Low & Slow Cam
2009 Camry Le
2,754 Posts
To dim the HU. At night, Its still a bit too bright for my liking even though I have the HU internal dimmer at the lowest setting. The wiring harness that came with it has a wire labeled Dimmer. Just wondering if I could wire that to a dimmer circuit on my Camry. I would include pics, but I dont have a digital camera where I am staying now.
oh no i didn't use that wire, my hu dimmer settings has like 5 options. sorry i cant help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.