Toyota Nation Forum banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Damn, if I had known the temperature in DV would get that hot I'd have made a special trip out there. I've rarely ever seen it that hot this late in the season, since the last week of June and the first week of July are the usual weeks were temps top well above 120.

I thought at first the woman in the fatal crash on the 190 might have been driving eastbound heading into Stovepipe Wells, but I see it was on the other side of DV east of Furnace Creek. Either section of road are "gotcha" stretches where if you don't keep an eye on your speed you'll be up to 90 MPH on the downhills before you know it and out of control. Even though I've driven Death Valley for decades, the first time I drove the Highlander in there I almost lost it westbound on the 190. The Highlander is so smooth and quiet at speed I didn't realize I was almost hitting 90 at about the same time I arrived at the dips a few miles short of Stovepipe Wells. I damn near got airborne on the first dip and lost the vehicle. It was a delicate balance keeping the Highlander straight while not panic braking too hard and getting the speed down to a manageable level. You never forget those little incidents in life.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Damn, if I had known the temperature in DV would get that hot I'd have made a special trip out there. I've rarely ever seen it that hot this late in the season, since the last week of June and the first week of July are the usual weeks were temps top well above 120.

I thought at first the woman in the fatal crash on the 190 might have been driving eastbound heading into Stovepipe Wells, but I see it was on the other side of DV east of Furnace Creek. Either section of road are "gotcha" stretches where if you don't keep an eye on your speed you'll be up to 90 MPH on the downhills before you know it and out of control. Even though I've driven Death Valley for decades, the first time I drove the Highlander in there I almost lost it westbound on the 190. The Highlander is so smooth and quiet at speed I didn't realize I was almost hitting 90 at about the same time I arrived at the dips a few miles short of Stovepipe Wells. I damn near got airborne on the first dip and lost the vehicle. It was a delicate balance keeping the Highlander straight while not panic braking too hard and getting the speed down to a manageable level. You never forget those little incidents in life.
My 97 S-10 was like that. I got it up to 95 crossing Nebraska, and then hit the fuel limiter at 96 MPH. It started shutting down the engine, and scared the crap out of me (thinking I had a real problem with the truck) out in the middle of no where. After I slowed down, everything came back to life, so I knew I was good to go, just had to watch the speed (nothing to see in Nebraska anyway). As I started to go thru Wyoming, I really paid attention to my speed (lots of cops watching for downhill speeders), and even watched a guy fly by me who found the state trooper for me (he got stopped). :D

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
My 97 S-10 was like that. I got it up to 95 crossing Nebraska, and then hit the fuel limiter at 96 MPH. It started shutting down the engine, and scared the crap out of me (thinking I had a real problem with the truck) out in the middle of no where. After I slowed down, everything came back to life, so I knew I was good to go, just had to watch the speed (nothing to see in Nebraska anyway). As I started to go thru Wyoming, I really paid attention to my speed (lots of cops watching for downhill speeders), and even watched a guy fly by me who found the state trooper for me (he got stopped). :D
I didn't know any American vehicles had nanny limiters like that.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I didn't know any American vehicles had nanny limiters like that.
Some do some don't. Quite a few trucks did. My 97 had a 4.3 L V6 in it, and it would haul ass. I only sold it because you could only fit 2 adults in the cab. I did work it, and used it for a long distance cruiser (road trip truck). I sold it at 155K miles, as the front end was coming due (Bjs, tie rods, idler arms, etc...).

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
You never forget those little incidents in life.
Just had one yesterday at a left turn green light in the town's 30mph zone where two cars in front of me turned left then when I turned left through the intersection a pickup towing a trailer flew thru their red light around 60 mph almost hitting me. If I would not have had my trunk full of items that I didn't want to tump around I would have turned around and hauled butt to catch up with that puke and got the cops on him. That woke me up!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Only way to have caught that idjit on cam would have been with side cams because front/back would have been out of view not showing the offense or license.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Only way to have caught that idjit on cam would have been with side cams because front/back would have been out of view not showing the offense or license.
But if he had hit you the one thing a dash cam will prove is that you had a green light and, thus, the offender had a red light. The video doesn't lie in a court of law.

321 - 333 of 333 Posts
About this Discussion
332 Replies
14 Participants
TrailDust
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing