Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Wheelin' Guy
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2000 a problem has cropped up all of a sudden in which I go out to start it and the key won't turn in the ignition. I don't believe it's steering column related as I am not doing anything different than I have done in the 10-plus years since I've owned it. That being said, when it has not turned, I have tried everything I could think of, including moving the steering wheel back and forth. I sprayed the key slot with WD-40 and when it turns, it turns very smoothly.
Here's the thing. It just happens randomly, but seems to be happening more and more frequently. I don't want to be stuck sometime in a precarious situation, have my engine die, and then not be able to turn the key to get it started again.
Anyone else have this trouble, and if so, what did you end up doing to solve it?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,571 Posts
Yup, that's a common issue with older vehicles. Best thing to do is to go to the dealership and have them cut you a new key based off of yer VIN. Take that key and have some spares made. The next best thing to do is to pull the lock cylinder and take out the split key wafer as these are the trouble causing wafers. ;)

Here's a quick video on how to remove the lock cylinder. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts