Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a number of Camrys before, but I've never had a problem in which I put the key into the ignition, and somehow, it got wedged in there and wouldn't come out. It took a lot of jiggling to get it out (and a rescue from my hubby), and I thought it would never happen again, but this morning, it started to get stuck in there, again. I've noticed some dents on the key from when it got stuck the first time.
Anybody have experience with this?
If I were to get another key made with this one, would it have the dents, as well?

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
turn the wheel, if the wheel lock is on sometimes the key gets stuck.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
If the key is worn out, then the pins do not get placed in the correct position in the tumbler, and the misalignment causes the problem.

Check your key against the spare (and not valet one, it has a different cut pattern) key, If you can, get a copy with another key, because if you copy the worn out one, the copy will act the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would get so wedged in there that the wheel would turn, but it still wouldn't get out. It got wedged up there in an angle...really bizarre.
We bought it used from another party. I only remember getting one key. Maybe there was more, but my hubby's out of town for another week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This happened to me twice with my 1996 Camry. Getting a new key made at a hardware store won't help since the key is defective. You need to get a new key made at the dealer. All you have to do is give them your VIN number and they will get a new key for you. It doesn't cost much more than copying a key at a hardware store.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Depending ont he year model of the car you may not be able to use the VIN to get the key code. There ahve been other people on here mention that before befcause thy only keep the key codes for certain amount of time or soething of that nautre. If all else fails though check your owners manul jacket and maybe you will be lucky and the previous owner put the key code tag inthere. Sometimes they do sometimes not. If you can not find it in there and can not get it cut off of the VIN then you can have someone pull the drivers door panel and look at he key code stamped on the door lock cylinder int he door.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
my mom got the key cylinder replaced on her old gen4 '97 camry. It was some kind of defect, had something to do with the key being able to come out when the car wasn't in park, this might be related to your problem possibly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts