Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my key is stuck in the ignition but if I unplug the battery I can get it out. Any thoughts? 2000 Avalon.

thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Try wiggle the steering wheel, Try to lube the key and switch with lube to free it, After that use a different key or have a new one made. Go to a lock smith if all else fails.

·
Registered
97 Posts
OP, Did you manage to figure out the problem? If now, try the Alarm on your Key Ring. This issue occurs as countermeasure to thieves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Tent,

I got the same exact issue in my 2011 Corolla S. After driving for about 5 hours the key got stuck in the ignition slot and I had to take off the battery and lock the car manually to get some sleep. In the morning I plugged the battery and it worked. I went to the dealership 5 days after the situation, they told me the ignition cylinder was very dirty and got stuck. The mechanism is electric so when you pulled out the battery you are just releasing the cylinder "manually". They blew up some dust I believe and that was all.

I hope it helps. :D

·
Registered
98, 00 Corolla
264 Posts
I had this problem on mine. Took the lock cylinder to a locksmith for repair. Very quick process

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still stuck in the ignition. I forgot to mention the weird part. The key does come out when I take the battery out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to lubricate the lock and internal cylinder, didn't try any compressed air but I can try that asap. Do you know if they took out the lock cylinder or what?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought new and sencer and I still have to disconnect the battery. It a 1999 Toyota Corolla. Any idea????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts