Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headbang:

I have an old worn key and a copy of said old worn key. I can get either on into or out of the ignition key cylinder, but can't turn from the "Lock" position. I've tried jiggling the steering wheel - that isn't it. I've tried WD40, no go. I'm going to try to get a new key from the VIN from a dealer next.

Odd thing - when I take the key out and open the door, I hear the buzzing noise that you get when the key is still in....could the wire connector from the cylinder be bad?

I've read the threads, and could try to replace the cylinder, but to pull out the old one you need to move the key to the "Acc" postion...which can't be done right now...

Suggestions, please!

·
boo.hoo.hoo.
1,498 Posts
I dunno. Possibly a worn out shifter? Maybe the car isn't 'fully' in park.

At first I thought worn out ignition lock cylinder, but that won't be it.

·
Registered
89 p'up
849 Posts
:headbang:

I have an old worn key and a copy of said old worn key. I can get either on into or out of the ignition key cylinder, but can't turn from the "Lock" position. I've tried jiggling the steering wheel - that isn't it. I've tried WD40, no go. I'm going to try to get a new key from the VIN from a dealer next.

Odd thing - when I take the key out and open the door, I hear the buzzing noise that you get when the key is still in....could the wire connector from the cylinder be bad?

I've read the threads, and could try to replace the cylinder, but to pull out the old one you need to move the key to the "Acc" postion...which can't be done right now...

Suggestions, please!

spray graphite lube into the cylinder. put the key in, wiggle, then snatch it out quick.

hopefully you'll see the 'shield' close this time.

put your key back in, you'll feel more resistance to entry...

turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE a little, then start as you normally would. mine does this from time to time.

i'm guessing 20 years and average of 3 starts a day = 20 x 360 x 3 = 21,000+ starts from that little key thing. maybe it's just tired.

·
Registered
2007 TUNDRA
107 Posts
Ive seen many vehicles towed into the shop for this. Its usually worn out tumblers in the cylinder. We replace the ignition. I've been successful in removing them in 2 ways. Put the key into the ignition hit it with a hammer as if the key was a nail and the cylinder was a piece of wood. Hit it a couple times then try to turn it and repeat. I only do it the 2nd way if the 1st way doesn't work. I basically take it apart piece by piece by prying pieces out with a screw driver until I can turn the ignition. By the way I have never damaged the housing by doing either of these things. You will still want a key cut to the VIN. Take that home make sure it works well in the doors. Take that same key back to the dealer and have them code the new ignition to that. Also bring your registration and ID. Some dealers will not do this service otherwise

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
WD40 and Graphite had no effect. Went and had a new key cut to the VIN today. Same problem. Toyota tech suggested that I use a punch to punch out the retaining pin to remove the cylinder. No luck with that and now the key won't come out...Will go try hammering at the key now...

which did something! The key is now able to move from "Lock" to "Acc" but no further. I also can't seem to move the retaining pin in order to remove the cylinder....

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Closer...but not there yet. The picture in my Haynes manual shows the cylinder assembly coming off the Steering wheel stock. My cylinder is in the dash and the pin is not located as depicted in the illustration (at 9 o'clock). The only thing I have is a hole at 6 o'clock. Is there a pin there? How to tell? I keep moving the key back and forth while pushing a punch into the hole. No go yet.

·
Registered
2007 TUNDRA
107 Posts
The pin is more at 6 o clock. It may be already pushed in. Ive had the pin pushed in before, but the cylinder was jammed. Try pulling on it

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not getting anywhere. Pounding on the pin area doesn't do anything, the key doesn't turn anymore, and the cylinder won't budge. Pliers on the key and I tried using a 2x4 and prying out the key/cylinder. Nothing. The cylinder moves a hair inside the housing, but nothing more.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dunno what I did differently...but the cylinder just popped out! I was able to pull the ignition switch out of the back and start the truck with a screwdriver. Looks like I just need a new ignition cylinder (with new set of keys), right? Looks like rockauto has it for $40.

·
Registered
2007 TUNDRA
107 Posts
Glad you got it. If you get a new cylinder with the keys already coded to it, those keys will not match your locks

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The door locks are pretty beat, too. I rarely use them so no issue.

Thank you for the advice and assistance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
you need to jigger the key up and down (parallel to the key itself), and up and down as you twist. happened to me today and after a few hours somebody helped me out with this trick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah, i noticed that, thanks. but i didn't see the solution that worked for me listed so i thought that i would add it to the thread to potentially help others in the future with the same problem. just something else to try before they take a hammer to their ignition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts