Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A simple DIY, I installed the Omega K9 Mundial 5. Wire colours/locations can be found HERE. Note that the wiring colours may be slightly different depending on year.

Remove the battery negative terminal. Remove the under panel and lower panel/knee padding. U.S. market cars are different versus Canadian/Australian/other markets so I have not included the steps but it's simple enough. Remove the kick panel/fuse box cover.

Organize and tape back the wiring close to the alarm box leave the rest of the wires free. I fabricated a bracket and bolted the unit to the clutch pedal mount point, if you have a 5-speed then you'll have to mount it elsewhere.

Shock sensor mounted

Connect ground there is a convenient bolt available.

Connect +12 volts battery constant and ignition switched, connector is under/next to the steering column.

Tape these up well.

Door lock/unlock connections, blue connector at the front of the kick panel well.

Door trigger and parking lights, bottom of fuse block.

Done.

Also working on a remote trunk release setup but didn't get a chance to finish it, here's a teaser.

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Remote Trunk Release

What you'll need:
Fuel door release motor 1997-2001 Lexus ES300.
Spare trunk latch x2
Wire/electrical tape/heat shrink
Soldering iron/solder
Plumbing soldering kit
1-2 wires run from the alarm/keyless unit to the trunk

I first tried to do this using the release motor from a 92-96 ES but the cable is shorter which complicates things. The '97-2001 ES unit has a longer cable and fits perfectly.

Here's the parts I started with, 92-96 ES release motor shown but it's identical to the later version except the cable is shorter.

Start by cutting away the curved section

File the edges and flat surface smooth

Roughen up the surface where the additional mounting bracket will be soldered

The bracket on the left is from the Lexus release motor cut to fit the Camry latch. On the right is the "eye" that will be soldered to the Camry latch. I got this from another Camry trunk latch, but you can fabricate your own if you want.

I drilled a hole in the "eye" and the mounting point on the Camry latch lever

Secured it with a motherboard screw, ready to be soldered

Soldered on

Additional bracket ready to be soldered

Done

The motherboard screw head interfered with the movement of the mechanism so I filed it down. The end of the vinyl sleeve (by the brass ball) must be cut about 5mm shorter to allow more cable movement. This is is actually quite difficult because the vinyl is a hard/tough material and you have to take care not to damage the cable itself.

Installed. I used two interior screws and drilled holes into the trunk for mounting. Two small brackets were cut/fabricated from the mounting hardware that comes with the release motor.

The Lexus release motor is a very versatile unit it has plenty of pulling power and the movement is variable, meaning it will pull and release as much as needed the cable is on a clutch mechanism so after it gets power the cable is free to spool back freely. I used standard plumbing solder and a propane torch to attach the bracket and "eye" the solder holds extremely well. But you must clean and roughen up the surfaces properly or the solder won't flow and stick.

All in all doing a trunk release on a gen2 Camry is quite difficult but the Lexus motor is perfect for the job it mounts nicely behind the latch and does not get in the way. You also gain a way to release the latch if you're locked in the trunk although the handle is not glow in the dark.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You're jumping on the alarm bandwagon too? Anyways my alarm did come with a antenna and it was optional to install. The installer said it was not necessary. Dunno... I got a crimestopper unit and for the price it works pretty darn good. No hiccups for me.

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,484 Posts
I never liked remote start. It just feels like a ghost started your car.
:facepalm: :lol: Christine!

My car has a remote start but unfortunately it stopped working a while back. I know the remote is good and the battery is new, whatever the problem is it's in the car. I just don't care enough to fix it.

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen some real butcher jobs of remote starter installs, a mass of wires and crimp connectors. Just brutal. A big reason I install keyless entry besides the convenience is to save wear and tear on the locks.

BTW the unit I installed here is decent expect for one thing, it flashes the light over and over anytime the door is open and the car is off. It's annoying and I can't find a way to disable this asinine feature. The unit was only $40 so I can't complain too much I guess.

·
Registered
91 Camry V6 LE
361 Posts
This is a very good write up. I am looking to do one on my Camry I picked up lately as I like alarms but not remote start. Alarms are good especially for our older cars that were highly common to be stolen back in the days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow remote start is awesome (especially in cold weather), I installed it on my car a few years ago and it was fairly easy (on an automatic, not sure about a stick shift). I ran a wire from the battery instead of tapping into the thick wire on the column, the 'brain' automatically senses when the car has started (older 'brains' had to tap into the distributor or something to get a rpm signal), it was fairly straight forward to install actually.

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no screw like a motherboard screw! :lol:
Nope! :lol:

Hey it was the right size, to be clear there are generally two sizes of motherboard screws I used the slightly smaller one that has the finer threads. I went through probably 2-3 iterations of the trunk release before I figured out how to do it properly. The generation 3 ES uses a motor with a cam which is integrated into the latch, small and elegant but the latch is way different it can't be made to work on our cars.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,274 Posts
I just used a standard door lock actuator (aftermarket) to do the same job. Less work, but also much less elegant.

-Charlie

·
Registered
907 Posts
I just used a standard door lock actuator (aftermarket) to do the same job. Less work, but also much less elegant.

-Charlie
You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. I've used standard two wire door lock actuators on 3 different trunk installs, worked great. I've mounted them on the inside of the trunk lid between the outer and inner sheet metal parts, usually near a hole for access. Then if the trunk is lined it is covered it up too.

Remote start: If it gets cold where you live you won't mind if a "ghost" starts you car. Then it is warm when you get in.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,274 Posts
What do you use for the lock/unlock button or you just use the fob?
I use one of the secondary buttons on my remote. I also have window roll up and down modules, but I still need to work on that one to get it to play nicely with the stock auto-up/down on my driver's window.

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts