Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The Kirkland black plastic 5-quart container looks identical to the Amazon Basics synthetic motor oil container (except for glued-on label). The Amazon oil is blended by Warren Distribution according to the label on the back of the container. I cannot find a pic of the back side of the Kirkland oil container.

Companies like Warren Distribution are blenders who purchase the base stocks and additives from various companies and blends them together to meet their customer specifications. In addition to Amazon, Walmart also uses Warren Distribution.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I used supertech in my 2019 tundra and my 2019 Camry XSE. Just got a 2020 Tundra 2 days ago and will use Supertech in it as well. Good oil and it's not expensive. Call it cheap good oil.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used supertech in my 2019 tundra and my 2019 Camry XSE. Just got a 2020 Tundra 2 days ago and will use Supertech in it as well. Good oil and it's not expensive. Call it cheap good oil.

Did you notice any oil loss on the dipstick after changing the oil?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes I live in Texas and it's hot but that doesn't mean you lose oil. I drive my vehicle normal. I don't have to mash the pedal and race it everywhere I go. All of my vehicles are new. 2020 Tundra, 2019 Camry XSE, 2019 Corolla. I put the same brand in all of them. Not exactly sure what you're trying to figure out but if you think there should be a loss because of the heat then oil brand doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
You live in Texas. In the summer it can be quite hot. Losing some oil would be a given.
I owned my last two cars for 11 years each. During that time I lived in Texas and other warm climates in the South, and have never seen any loss of oil in-between oil changes (based on dipstick readings). I generally used Mobil 1 5W-30 (the recommended viscosity for the two cars I owned).

I don't know if you think there should be oil loss due to evaporation, or some other reason. The whole subject of oil evaporation is greatly exaggerated, especially for synthetic motor oils. Some amateurs attempt to judge motor oils by measuring oil evaporation, after heating the oil to twice the normal engine temperature, and then measure a very small amount of loss, which is nothing but theatrics and a joke.

·
Registered
95 Posts
According to these two sites it's Warren Distribution Inc., so the oil is good

https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/e3smp0
Wow, is that the price? 10 quarts for $25? I've seen the Amazon brand (same mfg.) tested against some top brands on Youtube's Project Farm channel and it did really well.
Unfortunately Amazon has been raising the price on their oil so the 5 quart that was $17 is now about $23.
If this is the price, I'm going to Costco!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Wow, is that the price? 10 quarts for $25? I've seen the Amazon brand (same mfg.) tested against some top brands on Youtube's Project Farm channel and it did really well.

Unfortunately Amazon has been raising the price on their oil so the 5 quart that was $17 is now about $23.
If this is the price, I'm going to Costco!
You are right, Amazon Basics synthetic is $23.

But you are wrong about the tests, because the tests run in that video are completely bogus and irrelevant to oil quality. I explained why in my post just above yours, and also in another thread (about that specific video).

·
Registered
95 Posts
You are right, Amazon Basics synthetic is $23.

But you are wrong about the tests, because the tests run in that video are completely bogus and irrelevant to oil quality. I explained why in another thread (about that specific video).
OK, how about an oil analysis comparing fresh vs used 5W20 (I couldn't find one on 5W30)?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
OK, how about an oil analysis comparing fresh vs used 5W20 (I couldn't find one on 5W30)?
A UOA was never designed to determine engine wear, and looking at metals in the oil it is a very poor way to make any conclusions about that subject. There are all kinds of reasons why one used motor oil would have more metals than another, having nothing to do with the ability of an oil to cause or reduce friction between metal parts in the engine. For example, some motor oils hold microscopic contaminants in suspension much better than other oils (which is usually considered to be good), resulting in erroneous conclusions on BITOG about engine wear between one motor oil vis-a-vis another.

A UOA was designed for the purpose of determining when fleet operators need to perform fluid changes in a way that reduces the maintenance expense as much as possible and still provides adequate engine protection. An operator of a large fleet can take statistical samples of a small portion of that fleet in order to gauge the entire fleet and how often oil changes are needed (assuming that one is dealing with the same or very similar engines). The cost of an UOA on every vehicle would be prohibitive and self-defeating (would not save money), sot that is why statistical samples are used extrapolate the results to the entire fleet.

There "could be" some other legitimate reasons for doing a UOA, such as determining the amount of gas or coolant is in the engine oil, but that has nothing to do with evaluating the oil itself (it is an evaluation of the engine condition, seals, etc).

Forget about all these YouTube videos on the Internet conducted by amateurs who know nothing about motor oil.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Forget about John doe saying he has less wearmetals in his oil sample. One guy was bragging he was using brand x and was touting his wear metals. Everyone was trying to figure out how his wear metals were so low compared to others with same engine and same oil. About 6 months later he let it slip he was running a filter mag.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 90 Posts