Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and gals here's the problem,
Well after months of not having my prescious 4 runner, I now have a new problem. Everytime I drive it around the block my check engine light comes on. The problem is a engine code 52, knock sensor. Now please tell me what could cause this. The engine feels like it is running fine. So now I'm upset. please help!! The only thing that i haven't checked is the knock sensor circuit. Any ideas would help. thanks. Oh yeah I have an 88 4 runner. 3.0L V6

·
Registered
262 Posts
Where do you get the device to check the engine codes? Sorry I can't help you out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine codes

Well on the vehicles the emissions sticker has the connection points for the diagnoses hook up that you use a jumper wire on, and then the engine light will blink, and the number of blinks is the code number. this happens in sets. so a code will look like this. B= Blink: P= pause
B,B,B,B,B-----P-----B,B----P_________repeat or start of a new code. This code would be 52 which is the knock sensor code I keep getting. Or you could go to, Schucks, Crager, and checker. the code reader your wanting to get is an OBD 1, code reader, or if your vehicle is after 96, you will need to get and OBD2 code reader.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
See reply in tech section.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just an idea...
Have you checked the sensor? The knock sensor is basically a microphone, so you may want to see if the wire going to it is not loose or broken.
V6 engines have two of these sensors, one for each cylinder bank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
knock

I only have that i know of it is in the center of the engine block under the intake manifolds.
The hanyes manual I have says it is the only one maybe you can tell me where their supposed to be because I can't find wires anywhere else close to the heads or block that would suggest another knock sensor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I must ask forgiveness on this one. My Chiltons's manual also shows only one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts