Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i'm pretty new to these forums and i hope someone can help me with my problem.... I have a 99 solara and my check engine light came on and there was this P0330 problem. apparently, my passenger side knock sensor doesn't work anymore and i need a way to remedy this problem without taking it to the dealership and getting raped on the price. thanks in advance for the help

·
Team Nex-Gen
2000 Solara
230 Posts
This is a very common problem for Gen 1/1.5 Solara's, it just happened to me actually. Unfortunately, there is no cheap solution and you do need to replace the sensor. A dealer will charge you $200 for the sensor and probably another $300 for the installation. The intake manifold needs to come off, it is somewhat of a time consuming process.

A knock sensor is basically a microphone that listens to your cylinders for the sound of detonation when there shouldn't be. Usually, when your piston is at the top of its' path, the spark plug will ignite the compressed mix of fuel and air. When you're knocking, it means the air/fuel mix is combusting from the heat generated by the compression.

You can run your car after the sensor is blown, but you'll feel a major difference in power and gas mileage and it may worsen. You should run higher octane gas if you're not already, and if you're interested at all in modification, you should email [email protected]. Foreign Affairs has developed a fuel system upgrade that more evenly distributes fuel to V6 solaras. The current system is a line that goes from the filter into bank 1, then back to bank 2, leaving bank 2 a little lean. Jim's system has a T fitting that sends a more even flow of fuel to both banks of the engine. I've been using Jim's system and have been very happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help man, i guess i'll be coughing up the 200 bux eventually then

btw, are you saying if i buy the fuel system upgrade, i won't need the knock sensor?? just tryin' to get things straight, also...how much will that cost? I live in a small town in texas so i doubt there are a lot of people who can work on my car even if i do buy the upgrade though, but i'm curious about it nontheless

·
Gangsta SC400 & 5.7Tundra
3,836 Posts
acquadragon said:
thanks for the help man, i guess i'll be coughing up the 200 bux eventually then

btw, are you saying if i buy the fuel system upgrade, i won't need the knock sensor??

NO, you still have to replace the Blown knock sensor, but a fuel upgrade will help in preventing this from hapenning again...

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
If you're not experiencing degraded performance such as poor accelleration then it could be a false reading. Check the connection for solid contact.

Also, if any other poorly grounded/shielded wiring is around the sensor it could cause false readings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts