Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know that its not really that important, but it keeps the check engine light on, and its annoying. Plus if something is wrong i won't know. Anyways, does anyone know where the sensor is. Second i think it may just be unplugged, because there is a plug thats not connected to anything it comes up from under the intake and its sitting on top of the vavle cover rate now. I have an 88 with 22re

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The knock sensor is basically a "normaly open switch" that closes when the engine has knocking noises thereby telling the ECU (EFi computer) to retard engine bas timing.They never fail usually the culprit is the co-axial wire gets corroded/rusted on the other end going into the ECU (located in the passenger floor area below the firewall.

You need a connected knock sensor when the system is functioning properly you can take a hammer and lightly tap the engine block near the sensor and listen to the engine idle change.

Sidney® ™
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:[email protected]
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,with 252 000 KM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats weird, because the engine code comes up as open or short. Well, then i guess it must be shorted if its normally open. I'll have to look around at the wire and connection. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the sensor is plugged in. I'll try to look around an see if ether end of the connectors are corroded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts