Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your knock sensor brakes. What’s starts to happen to the engine that you would notice right away

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
nothing really, you might have reduced power due to the engine changing it's timming and reduced boost as well. also your check light is going to be on. other than that you should still be ok. but looking at your sig i dont think the car can reduce the boost since it not controlled by the ecu. could be wrong about the boost.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
why do u think ur knock sensor is gone??....did u get a CEL???....they are very sensitive....i should know..i've gone through three of them in five years....

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
A blown knock sensor for light the "check engine" light and give you code 52.
Your gas consumption would go up and you would have a loss of performance.

The ECU will retard timing and supply more fuel.
It will not affect boost.

The ECU limits boost when the coolant temps are low and when ambient temps are low. I do not see anything in his signature that implys he disabled the TVSV (what controls boost), so I would say his ECU is still in control of boost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank guys for the info. I’m trying to fix my car right now. Last week while I was driving. I was going around 60 to 65 when I down shift to 4th it started to make some weird noise like it was choking for air. I’m still boosting good. The weird thing is that it only happens when I go full throttle but im stepping on the gas like just a quarter down it would run ok, it will boost ok, but as soon as I push the gas more, then it will start choking. I think it’s a hose leek or some kind of leek but I don’t really know what it is. If any body know what’s happening to my car pls I need help thank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts