Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Toyota pickup with 104,000 mi. I've had it for about 2 months and had noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. The previous owner had been great with keeping up with oil changes, but not much else. His handwritten service notes indicated an "engine overhaul" ten years ago so I figured I should start by catching up the maintenance. I changed the spark plugs & wires and distributor cap, and flushed the coolant. Then I adjusted the valves. I have a Hayne's manual and followed the instructions & clearance specs they give, and now there is a worse knocking. I'm wondering if I should put the valves back to where they were or what else would be causing the knocking after the valve adjustment? I think I can also still hear the ticking under the louder knocking. The thermostat had been stuck open so I thought maybe the engine hadn't gotten hot enough to adjust the valves properly, but even after changing that & getting the engine hotter it didn't make much difference with the valves.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
You may have over tightened the valve cover. The studs anchor on the stands for the rocker shafts, and if the valve cover is over tightened it pulls up on the rocker shafts, increasing the valve clearance.

loosen the valve cover bolts while it is running and see if the noise fades away.

If that is not the problem recheck the clearances.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
The ticking (not the knock) you are hearing is more then likely injector tap. The 22re engines have loud injectors for some reason. To confirm this, as the engine is running put your ear as close to the injectors as possible and rev it a little, you will here the audible ticking from the injectors. As far as the valve clearance, recheck the clearance to be sure that they are where you last put them, remember that when you adjust them you have to hold the adjusting screw with a screw driver when you tighten down the lock nut or else you will spin the adjusting screw as you tighten the lock nut and you will be off on your clearance. As far as the valve cover goes, i too would always question myself when tightening the valve cover down, so i went to Harbor Freight and picked up a 1/4 IN torque wrench and called toyota to find out how tight the nuts were supposed to be tighten to, they told me 43 - 48 inch/lbs. So all i did was adjust my torque wrench to 48 inch/lbs and torqued away. Problem solved!!! BTW Harbor Freight sells them for i think $20.00 and make sure its the 1/4 inch torque wrench!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
... called toyota to find out how tight the nuts were supposed to be tighten to, they told me 43 - 48 inch/lbs. So all i did was adjust my torque wrench to 48 inch/lbs and torqued away ...
Is this an updated spec? cause the FSM says 52in/lbs.
I'm going to try that spec and see if mine gets any quieter because its always been kind of noisy with that spec, and my valves ARE in spec.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Is this an updated spec? cause the FSM says 52in/lbs.
I'm going to try that spec and see if mine gets any quieter because its always been kind of noisy with that spec, and my valves ARE in spec.
I assume its been updated... i called them up and thats what they told me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.