Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I new here and new to toyota...... I have a 1992 Camry with 101,000 miles. I picked it up for a hundred bucks smashed. Anywho i put a complete new front clip on it including a rad and support. runs excellent! but. I can not find out why i have this knocking in the back, kinda sounds like some one hitting the under body or chassis with a ball peen hammer when i go over bumps. (Small or large ones) I have a friend who was a toyota mechanic for 10 years and we can't find it! I have replaced both rear struts thinking that's what it was! the sway bar is tight and the bushing are all good. exhaust is also tight. And the spare and jack in the trunk is not doing it. I am at my end with this,as it's driving me crazy! I could just turn up the JVC and Alpine but that's not me! Any help with this would be greatly needed. this looks like a great place!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean Jack? when we replaced the struts we compressed the springs and reused them. and reused the top mount that ataches to the deck with three nuts

·
422 Posts
Yeah, that's the mount.

As far as I know, people say that sounds like a board beating around, but when i replaced mine (along with springs and struts) I blew my head gasket on the way to school the next morning, so i really don't know as much as I thought I did.

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
Ruggs59 said:
the top mount that ataches to the deck with three nuts
Thats the strut mount.

You said you checked the swaybar and bushings, but did you check the endlinks? They bolt onto the ends of the swaybar and the other end attaches to the strut.

Also check the nut in the middle of the strut mount. The one that holds the mount to the strut rod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
end links seemed to be good. the struts came with a new top bolt. I guess i will be at toyota today and get new top mounts! the ride from this car is realy good. but that knocking is driving me nuts! Jack sorry to hear about your gasket failure! THAT Sucks! And i would like to say thanks for all your qiuck responces!!!!!!!!

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I have the similar knocking in the rear and I was told it was hte same thing. However I'm dead broke from fixing my car after my crash so that's gotta wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DNA59, I know what you mean! me replacing whole front end was not cheap also. All these little things kept popping up! that i did'nt expect. front motor mount, i figured i'd replace the timing belt and almost every gasket on the motor including valve seals. (remember my x toyota machanic) oh yea and the coil to! So my 100 dollar car is up to around $1750 for just the parts! and now this dam knocking! I wonder what the strut mounts are going to cost!

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Are the conrtol arms tight? If they were loose, it would cause a knocking sound when you hit bumps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Knocking in Rear of Camry

Hey,
My Grandmother has a Toyota Camry with the same problem of knocking sound in the rear when going over bumps. The wooden cover on the spare tire and jack in the trunk was the case for her she just took it out. Don't know if it is the same for you. Good luck anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts