Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I drive a 2004 Corolla and I am hearing a loud knocking noise coming from the engine (I believe). When I turn on the car, it does lag a bit and slightly struggles to turn on. Once on and running, the battery level seems to fluctuate. Here is a link to a video I recorded with the sound:

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,367 Posts
Hello All, I drive a 2004 Corolla and I am hearing a loud knocking noise coming from the engine (I believe). When I turn on the car, it does lag a bit and slightly struggles to turn on. Once on and running, the battery level seems to fluctuate. Here is a link to a video I recorded with the sound:
As @twistedriver implied, check your oil level first before starting the engine. Make sure it's full. That being said, I think this below:

Sounds like your engine is toast. Just to confirm, you can check to see if anything outside of the engine is rattling/shaking or moving improperly, like motor mounts, or if the belt is frayed and slapping against something. You can remove the belt and run the engine for 30 seconds to see if the noise is gone. My guess is your engine is ruined from lack of lubrication or infrequent maintenance. Sorry.

If your engine is indeed bad, it would be better to replace it with a good running, well-maintained used engine instead of paying to rebuild it. A lot of rebuilders do mediocre work, especially on these Japanese-designed engines. A rebuilder that truly knows what he's doing is not going to be cheap. Go used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah that sounds like really bad rod knock. :cry:
How did it happen?
If it was a subie, I would say it could be the timing belt tensioner, but since these have chains that would not apply. And that sounds too violent to be the serpentine belt tensioner.

Sorry man, huge bummer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts