Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Hybrid Believers,

I'm sure some of us have run into people who hate us because we drive a hybrid. I never thought it would happen at Toyota Nation. I had been visiting the 2005+ Tacoma forum for a while. I own a 2009 Highlander Hybrid and 2011 Tacoma. I would visit the Tacoma forum to learn about my truck.

One day last week someone posted about a Tacoma Hybrid and was doing so as a joke. I didn't realize it was a joke and posted back. Just want to let you know that if you own a hybrid there are people over at the 2005+ Tacoma forum who hate your guts and will not hesistate to tell you so.

If any of you "well spoken" hybrid believers want to check it out go there and see for yourself. Look for the Tacoma Hybrid thread from last week.
Makes me ashamed to own the same type of vehicle as them.

Regards,
Steve

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
391 Posts
I don't hate hybrids. I don't particularly care to own one. They are not as some would try to make you believe, gods gift to the human race, nor do trees and bunnies come out of the tailpipe. Personally I much prefer clean diesel's for numerous reasons. I have worked on numerous Hybrids (I am hybrid certified and a former Toyota MDT with 30 years in the auto industry) and have driven them for long distances as well. Not my kind of car. I have met many smug owners of them who know absolutely nothing about how vehicles work yet pat themselves on the back for saving the environment.
As far as a Tacoma hybrid goes it would be a bad choice. This was proven with the Highlander when towing. A much better choice would be a clean diesel. There are numerous reasons for this especially since many Tacoma owners travel off road etc.

BTW, I read the posts. It sure appears to me that you instigated the entire thing sir. Now you come running to the hybrid forum crying.

One thing you must remember; Just because Toyota is investigating or collaborating in building something does NOT mean it will ever be built or work as designed for that matter. There are drawbacks for everything. That is why they test vehicles repeatedly. Toyota does not have the answer to the worlds problems. They are a car company.

FYI, I am a Tacoma owner and as stated before a former Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician. I currently own my own shop in NJ. As such rest assured that I most likely know far more about your car than you do, research or not. Last, I am an ex hippie myself. I still listen to the Grateful Dead every day. I do my best to take care of the environment in my home and shop. However I think for myself and I know facts not conjecture or rumor when it comes to the automobile and the auto industry.

·
Need For Speed
10,765 Posts
I also myself do not care for hybrids, I prefer to keep my right foot on the floor :) However, I will never outright hate somebody who owns a hybrid-hybrids work for some people, but not all. It's also extremely rare to come across someone who will hate someone else based on what car they drive, but I read the posts in question and I don't think that they "hate" you "just because" you drive a hybrid.

Go back, reread everything that was said, take a deep breath, and think about it. Sometimes even I think someone is being rude when in reality they're really not.

:)

·
2010 Toyota Prius
10 Posts
A hybrid is just a form of technology - I find it is the drivers who either rub me the right or wrong way. Unfortunately there are quite a few hybrid drivers who annoy the hell out of me. I drive a hybrid myself, so maybe I'm being hypocritical? :)

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I don't own a Hybrid, but I believe the advancement of technology will eventually benefit each of us. Cars will become much more complicated over the next 10-20 years as manufacturers try to keep up with ever increasing safety and MPG standards.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
I own a hybrid, a 10 Prius. My wife drives it & loves it. I know of the type of hybrid owner that you speak of & I find that they own 1st & 2nd gen Prius models more than anything. The majority of 3rd gen Prius owners seem to be regular people that bought the car for better mpg as the car has become more mainstream. I find our Prius as a very nice car to drive & take road trips in. I know it's not for everyone, that's fine, then don't buy one. If you like or don't like hybrids you'd better realize that the technology will be around for a long time. It's funny to me though that Prius owners seem to be the only hybrid owners that get so much crap when most every auto maker is going to this technology & making hybrid cars. :D

·
TN Member
5,461 Posts
I own a hybrid, a 10 Prius. My wife drives it & loves it. I know of the type of hybrid owner that you speak of & I find that they own 1st & 2nd gen Prius models more than anything. The majority of 3rd gen Prius owners seem to be regular people that bought the car for better mpg as the car has become more mainstream. I find our Prius as a very nice car to drive & take road trips in. I know it's not for everyone, that's fine, then don't buy one. If you like or don't like hybrids you'd better realize that the technology will be around for a long time. It's funny to me though that Prius owners seem to be the only hybrid owners that get so much crap when most every auto maker is going to this technology & making hybrid cars. :D
It's the most recognisable hybrid and it's easy to group them (how many times have we seen hippies, eco-weenies, treehuggers, birkenstock wearers etc etc labelled to anyone who drives one).

I agree, the 3rd generation is more mainstream and while I don't think it counts for much stastically, the influx of new members at PriusChat and the type of personalities and the previous vehicles they had are completely different from those that bought a 2nd generation.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
While I was in Portland today I laughed when I saw this 2nd gen Prius. It's hard to see in the picture but it says "Treehugger" on the back bumper. :facepalm: Sorry about the poor quality as all I had with me was my cell phone. It can be tough living in this area with so many left wing liberals that view themselves this way. I on the other hand just enjoy our Prius for the car it is.

·
ASE Certified Master Tech
672 Posts
I used to own a 2005 Escape Hybrid and man I loved that thing! It got about 36-38MPG and was faster than the six cylinder non-hybrid! You floored it and it WEEEENT! A lot of fun to drive! Plus the economy was pretty good for a four wheel drive SUV (albeit a small one).

So why did I have it? Easy! The Saturn dealer I bought it from used didn't know it was a Hybrid! I saw it on their lot right after it was traded in and asked them how much? They told me $13,900 which was really good considering at the time it bluebooked at $22,000! So I jumped on it!

I feel sorry for the poor schmuck who traded it in! They probably only gave him 8k or so! Towards the end of the sale they must have realized their error and actually tried to talk me OUT of buying it! I asked if they could throw in a set of tires and you'd have thought I threatened the salesman's family! He went off on me about how if I'm going to make unreasonable offers then I might as well turn around and leave.

I even heard him getting chewed out in the sales manager's office while I was signing the paperwork! It was good fun!

Would I have paid $22k for it? HECK NO! Nor would I have paid the extra cost for one if I were to buy a new vehicle. It was really cool and fun to have that technology and I do miss it (My ex- took it with her when she left me for some loser she WoW'd with online) but I don't mess the payments.

It had nothing to do with the environment and really nothing to do with the economy although it was nice to get decent MPG numbers! It was just a right place, right time kind of thing!

I have to tell a story though. I was driving home in it in rush hour traffic once and came to a red light at the bottom of a hill. To my left was a Prius. As we sat there quietly I nodded at him and he nodded at me. He inched forward.. I inched forward. I knew what was coming!

The light turned green! Somehow I KNEW he'd do this but it was hilarious! We both CREPT UP THE HILL VERY SLOWLY trying to see who could go the furthest without the gas engine starting! It was great! There were dozens of cars behind us honking and flipping us off and cussing! I looked over and he's just LAUGHING HIS BUTT OFF!

I know I could have gotten my butt kicked for it but it was worth it! I laughed my rear end off all the way home and a lot of people were pretty ticked off about it! I guess I'm just a jerk that way.

By the way I won! haha

Anyway now I drive an '89 Festiva (46MPG last tankful) and my G/f has her '03 Corolla which sees about 32-34MPG. I also have a '98 Windstar I use to haul but it doesn't get driven much. It's a $500 van with dirt cheap insurance and almost no taxes each year so it's cheap and handy to keep around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can't judge an owner by his car

You really can't judge an owner by his car, but I have been guilty a few times myself, especially of BMW owners, lol.
We just bought a 2012 v and we certainly aren't liberals or tree huggers. I'm a Conservative, Lifetime NRA member, don't really believe man is the cause of global warming and also own a 98 Cobra SVT and a 4x4 pickup, neither which gets 40+ mpg. My wife is of the same mindset. The green we like is what stays in our wallet instead of paying for gas and supporting Countries that hate us. :chug:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
You really can't judge an owner by his car, but I have been guilty a few times myself, especially of BMW owners, lol.
We just bought a 2012 v and we certainly aren't liberals or tree huggers. I'm a Conservative, Lifetime NRA member, don't really believe man is the cause of global warming and also own a 98 Cobra SVT and a 4x4 pickup, neither which gets 40+ mpg. My wife is of the same mindset. The green we like is what stays in our wallet instead of paying for gas and supporting Countries that hate us. :chug:
Where in WA are you? When I was at a dealer the other day & they were selling every PriusV as fast as they could get them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:) Hi
We live in Packwood, WA and we were in Chehalis shopping and decided to stop at I-5 Auto. They had gotten in 4 v's 4 days before and had only one left. We drove it and liked it. It had everything we wanted including the dark grey interior, it is model five, no At, only thing missing is we had wanted red and this is Clear Sky Metallic. So we decided to go for it.
They didn't now when more would arrive, (they thought maybe the middle of December), so no deals, we paid MRSP which on this was like $30,150. Probably we were dumb but we bought the extended warranty and the Xzilon coating inside and out. With tax, license and the extra stuff they suckered me into, it came in at 35,000. The salesman we had didn't know crap about the car, he told us it didn't have nav and that it was real leather. I knew better and we figured out the nav on the way home.
It is very quiet inside , the seats are very comfortable and the cabin feels as roomy as the Explorer we traded in, actually we think we have more elbow room in the v. We get almost 44 (43.7) on the road, we live about 1 mile from Packwood so after a week or so of <5 mile trips it went down to 35.6, then back over 43 when we head to Tacoma or chehalis. We are loving it after 20 years of owning SUV's that got 18 mpg tops.
We were planning on buying a Subaru Forester until Prius brought out the v. Hope all my rambling has helped you some.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Clean Diesel Myth

I don't hate hybrids. I don't particularly care to own one. They are not as some would try to make you believe, gods gift to the human race, nor do trees and bunnies come out of the tailpipe. Personally I much prefer clean diesel's for numerous reasons. I have worked on numerous Hybrids (I am hybrid certified and a former Toyota MDT with 30 years in the auto industry) and have driven them for long distances as well. Not my kind of car. I have met many smug owners of them who know absolutely nothing about how vehicles work yet pat themselves on the back for saving the environment.
As far as a Tacoma hybrid goes it would be a bad choice. This was proven with the Highlander when towing. A much better choice would be a clean diesel. There are numerous reasons for this especially since many Tacoma owners travel off road etc.

BTW, I read the posts. It sure appears to me that you instigated the entire thing sir. Now you come running to the hybrid forum crying.

One thing you must remember; Just because Toyota is investigating or collaborating in building something does NOT mean it will ever be built or work as designed for that matter. There are drawbacks for everything. That is why they test vehicles repeatedly. Toyota does not have the answer to the worlds problems. They are a car company.

FYI, I am a Tacoma owner and as stated before a former Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician. I currently own my own shop in NJ. As such rest assured that I most likely know far more about your car than you do, research or not. Last, I am an ex hippie myself. I still listen to the Grateful Dead every day. I do my best to take care of the environment in my home and shop. However I think for myself and I know facts not conjecture or rumor when it comes to the automobile and the auto industry.
I own 2011 Prius for the primary reason, I don't want to be a slave to the oil companies or the Middle East. Being green is only a secondary coincidence to me in owning a Prius. I think the future is EVs for engineering reasons which you mention are issues with Hybrids (they still have a ICE). When battery technology has matured, the ICE and Diesel Technology will go the way of Dinosaurs. Till then, Toyota has over ten years of road experience data with over 2 million Prius Hybrids out there, which is more than all their competition combined. This experience and Toyota's reliability record convinced me that a Prius Hybrid was a good investment. I used to own a 1986 Toyota 4X4 xtra cab P/U and I don't agree with you that a diesel engine was better than 22R mechanically. Diesel soot back then were just plain horrible. I agree that Clean diesels should be in commercial vehicles not in Cars or SUVs. [FONT=&quot]

Recently, I got behind one of them MB Clean(Blutec) Diesels the other day and lo and behold I had to shut down my vents (Recycle the air). According to the EPA, the clean diesel engines and fuel emit a finer particulates that are not visible. So now you get colorless soot, that causes asthma, lung cancer, and a host of other respiratory ailments. Wow this like the good old days where black diesel soot was in your clothes, your hair, your food, and in your lungs if you lived near any transportation hub. Fast Forward to today, now all that is colorless and stinks. They call that an improvement? You know why the Europeans continue to milk diesel technology, they don't care about air quality, just look at their diesel emission standards as compared to the US which is a 10 X more Stringent. Can't wait to see what will happen to these dinosaurs (Expedition, Escalade, Yukons) when Gas Prices go to $8/gallon because Iran and Saudi Arabia are destined to tangle militarily.
:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to tell a story though. I was driving home in it in rush hour traffic once and came to a red light at the bottom of a hill. To my left was a Prius. As we sat there quietly I nodded at him and he nodded at me. He inched forward.. I inched forward. I knew what was coming!

The light turned green! Somehow I KNEW he'd do this but it was hilarious! We both CREPT UP THE HILL VERY SLOWLY trying to see who could go the furthest without the gas engine starting! It was great! There were dozens of cars behind us honking and flipping us off and cussing! I looked over and he's just LAUGHING HIS BUTT OFF!

I know I could have gotten my butt kicked for it but it was worth it! I laughed my rear end off all the way home and a lot of people were pretty ticked off about it! I guess I'm just a jerk that way.

By the way I won! haha
Great post. Laughed out loud at this though. :clap:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I have 2 Ram Hemi's and Love them both but I also really like driving my wife's 2010 Prius. We've been carpooling and saving about 200-250 bucks a month. Buys allot of 40S&W and 9mm for some stress relief! The tailgating crap when driving the Prius does get old though.:chug:

·
Registered
297 Posts
The tailgating crap when driving the Prius does get old though.:chug:
Here in MA, not many Prius' get tailgated as most of them are driven like regular cars by the owners, including racing up to stoplights and driving 80mph on highway. Several years ago, the Prius drivers would drive for max mpg, but it seems that most now realize that even with leadfooting it, the mpg will still be better than most anything else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here in Texas I think if you went 100 mph in the fast lane some JackAss in a 1 ton diesel would still be on your ass. I don't drive the Prius any different than my Ram and the difference is very noticeable, of course I think in general people show allot less respect to each other these days. I like the little car!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts