Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some advice from my fellow camry owners. I have narrowed it down to two different tires but i cant decide so im gonna leave it up to you guys.

Two choices:

Kumho Supra Ecsta 712 225/50/16

or

Falken Azenis Sports 205/55/16

P.S. I have already searched on these two tires and heard good things of both. Both are around the same price. I know going with a 50 series tire may throw off my speedo somewhat (very minimal, not really a big deal). Just post up which you vote for. Thanks

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Which azenis? ST105 or Sports?

If you get the sports, you can't drive in the rain. The ST105's you can drive in the rain. I like falken. Have falken on my car and I believe that they're the best tire for the value. Kumho's are OKAY. Not too good in my book. I worked at a wheel/tire shop for two years. I know about tires. ;)

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
^
I too work at a Wheel shop and I have to agree that Falkens are better:thumbup:

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i have falkens on my car also and i love em' they grip very well. i think mine are 215/50r17 it may seem too tall a tire but they aren't. i got them to save the wheel from pot holes and curbs...so far so good

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I may add that Kumho's are Korean made tires... which aren't as good as Japanese made Falken tires. The only reason why I see people buy Kumho is that they just need a tire... they're not looking for quality or performance. they just want it on the rim. If you're looking for longevity and quality, Falken. :)

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
I had Falken 502's 205/55-16 from 2000 to 2003.

They wore out too fast due to poor alignment - I bought a set of Kumho Supra Ecsta 712 205/55/16's in June 2003 from www.talontire.com because they were cheap and a guy at work recommended the Kumho's.

I am very happy with them - great in the wet too - I can take on/off ramps much faster than with the Falkens, and I have the whiteline rear swaybar upgrade with Eibach Prokit and (until this past Jan) KYB GR-2's on the rear - now just Monroe Sense-a-tracks on the rear :(

Of course the Falkens I had were marketed as all-seasons, so it's not a really good comparison to the Sports I guess.

my 2 cents anyway....

Haha - Just reading this over again, I just remembered I sold the Falkens to buddy with a Z24 - he just put them on so the worn out edge was on the outside - he used them until he could afford all new rubber :)

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Falkens got my vote of the two.

But I would shop some more.

The KumHos are like the man said, just tires. Sometimes good at black and round and thats about it.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
kuhmo 712s are garbage....i wouldn't put them on my winter beater.....they're cheap so u get what u pay....i wouldn't use the word performance and 712s together in one sentence.....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just to add to the massive Falken vote, I had lo-pro Falken 512's on my Honda 215-40-17 and I loved taking the on/offramps at 70+ Mph without a chirp from the tires. And the 512's aren't the high performence Falkens either, I was sporting their all season tires.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,790 Posts
Falkens would be my choice, but if my wallet size determines the choice, it would be Kumho because it's cheaper. Falkens are good for sport driving, but kumho will last longer (if you don't take turns going over 70 mph everyday). Why don't you go for the new Dunlops Direzzas or Bridgestone Potenzas or the Yokohama's Advans? They're pricy, but great for performance driving. If it was me, I would go with the Bridgestone Potenzas, they last quite some time. I have them installed on my minivan, and I take those on/off ramps twice the speed limit. Grips like Gorilla Glue. They last too, had them for 4 years and they're not showing any signs of balding. :thumbsup:

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
yea...my friends got falkens on his 92 maxima. He just got 18s so he put 225/40/18s on them and he loves them. He got the ze-512, which he believes are better than the azenis. To each their own i guess...

·
LiL KareBear
218 Posts
My vote is on Falken

·
Registered
445 Posts
maggotdecay said:
Just to add to the massive Falken vote, I had lo-pro Falken 512's on my Honda 215-40-17 and I loved taking the on/offramps at 70+ Mph without a chirp from the tires. And the 512's aren't the high performence Falkens either, I was sporting their all season tires.
How's the wear and the snow/rain performance on the 512's? Im planning to get a set when my crappy stock rubber is shot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
xpeed said:
Why don't you go for the new Dunlops Direzzas or Bridgestone Potenzas or the Yokohama's Advans?
I have heard that Azenis Sports were some of the best for performance. I know that alot of SCCA members use them and have had good success.

UfoZ8myCow
Agreed. If you want to put a tire on just for the sake of having a set of tires and you dont care about performance...
That is exactly the opposite of what i want to do

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd go with the Falkens. I have Kumhos on my car (Ecsta KH11s) and have been pretty disappointed with them. For a summer tire that's supposed to be performance oriented, I'm waiting to see the performance.

Even though I moved up from a 195/70/14 to a 205/60/15 (same overall diameter) when switching to the Kumhos, my car had higher handling limits Cooper tires on the 14s. I don't think I'll be buying another set of Kumhos...

HTH -

DJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts