Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Limited, 1994 Toyota Pickup, 2005 Toyota Matrix, 2008 Mustang GT
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the quick struts today and installed. So far the ride is much better and body roll has been reduced as well. Less than an hour to do both sides. I will be looking for the fronts next. My 10 year old stock struts were making a pretty good bit of noise on moderate to large bumps in the road. I will save the stock springs for possible use later. Had to get one from Rockauto and one from Summit.

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Limited, 1994 Toyota Pickup, 2005 Toyota Matrix, 2008 Mustang GT
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why bother? Just do Monroe Quick Strut. Be happy.
I've never liked Monroe shocks or struts and I can't imagine their springs are anything I would like either. KYB is a brand I've used many times and have always been happy with them. I don't consider ordering from 2 suppliers to be a bother either.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems awful early to have these be bad...
That was a thought at first. I then realized that they have been on the car for almost 10 years and who knows how long they had been made waiting to go on the car lol. Rubber and fluid will fail over time as well as use. I wouldn't drive on car tires that were ten years old for that same reason.

·
Super Moderator
9,217 Posts
That's fine. I am speaking from 2 front ends experience - Camry and Highlander. I could not give them better resume. I had KYB shocks on same Camry rear and I'd rather not recommend that harshness.
But to each of his own. I like soft ride.

·
イリジウム
13,840 Posts
Yeah assemblies are the way to go if available. Preferences differ, but I too prefer Monroe (not with the old Sensatrac struts but the newer OES).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's fine. I am speaking from 2 front ends experience - Camry and Highlander. I could not give them better resume. I had KYB shocks on same Camry rear and I'd rather not recommend that harshness.
But to each of his own. I like soft ride.
I hear ya there. I probably would have gotten the Monroes if the KYBs were not available as I wanted the whole unit. Truth be told I haven't used them in 15 years or so.

·
Super Moderator
9,217 Posts
I was very happy with mine. It took them about 2-4 months to ease up, then ride became very chushy. I like cushy ride.

·
Registered
2011 Sequoia Limited
192 Posts
That was a thought at first. I then realized that they have been on the car for almost 10 years and who knows how long they had been made waiting to go on the car lol. Rubber and fluid will fail over time as well as use. I wouldn't drive on car tires that were ten years old for that same reason.
Good point.
Thank you. Luckily, mine seems to be riding fine but maybe my location/weather isn't as harsh, with equivalent miles, to cause an issue yet?

Love the feedback!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have a part number for complete assemblies from KYB? I'm not fond of spring compressors having done the break-down a million times on other cars.

·
Registered
2011 Sequoia Limited
192 Posts
Do you have a part number for complete assemblies from KYB? I'm not fond of spring compressors having done the break-down a million times on other cars.
Jeebus, Google is your friend

SR4447 rear driver
SR4446 Rear passenger

·
イリジウム
13,840 Posts
use the manufacturer’s catalog then search reputable sellers for best price:

·
イリジウム
13,840 Posts
Using KYB's catalog and SR4453 (front left, 2011 HL Limited FWD) and SR4452:

And look on rockauto.com, I see $130.79 for SR4452, but SR4453 is temporarily out of stock.

Note that with rockauto you pay return shipping for whatever reason including warranty claims, but if you make use of PayPal then you can use their free return shipping. Read the fine print on their website, see my post:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that tip. yeah, it's odd, I'm finding one side on one site and another side on another site, but rarely both sides are available on one site.

What are your thoughts on FCS? They are available but the price is half ....is it you get what you pay for? part#3333393L/R

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would stay away from FCS. Great price. But the rest is not in the same quality level as KYB, Tokico, etc. If you are planning on flipping the car, then yeah go ahead and buy it. But if this is a car you intend to drive, I suggest getting the highest quality shocks/struts you can find.

·
イリジウム
13,840 Posts
When you have those low FCS, PRT, UltraPower prices right next to Monroes and KYBs, yeah I would have a lot of questions too. :D I suspect a lot of parts store and private brands probably source from the same manufacturers too.

Here were a couple of quick searches I found on FCS, the main complaint seemed to be stiff when the weather gets cold. For the price it's worth a try for those willing to experiment or selling the car. Although personally I have stuck with Monroe QuickStruts assemblies or OESpectrum plain struts, as Monroe offers lifetime warranty even for normal wear and tear while other brands don't. You only need to buy one set and they'll last the ownership from then on.

Regardless of that, the important thing is to pick the ride that you like, or it won't be worth it in the long run.

Here was a discussion on budget brands on the 'Rolla but is applicable in general:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts