Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am in the UK and have posted a question about my 2003 rav4 alarm system and the post seems to have gone into s black hole.
So I will try again and here is the question which I thought I had sent twice but cannot find anywhere in the second generation rav4 area of this site:-

My rav4 when locked with the key fob now sometimes sounds the alarm after a while - which can be some hours and disturbs my neighbors. The system has worked perfectly until a few weeks ago so something has changed.
I have therefore been trying to lock the doors with the key to prevent the alarm system being armed, because the alarm does not go off if one just gets out of the car and removing the key without locking the car with the key fob, but of course the car is then left unlocked.
Locking the drivers door with the key however only locks that one door and not any others so without a fob how can the rear doors be locked?
All locking functions work fine from the key fob except for the random alarm sounding sometimes after a time..
The battery volts look fine at 12.5 and I have cleaned the battery to chassis connections.
With the car locked with the fob, banging on the panels does not trigger the alarm which seems to indicate that the sound sensor is not too sensitive and causing the alarm to trigger.
The battery is fairly new and certainly the no load volts look fine.
Anybody got any ideas please - I am an ex electronics research engineer and my friends can not understand why I cannot easily fix the problem - but after all i am 86 years old !!!
Matty-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a factory alarm or aftermarket added to the keykedd entry?
Thanks - it is a factory alarm fitted as standard to a UK registered car.
I have checked the battery volts on no load and it looks OK at 12.5 volts and have cleaned up the negative battery connections to the chassis yesterday and will see if the problem is still there.
To disconnect the siren, I have found a quite large multi way connector next to the battery case which has some wires going under the battery case but was expecting only a couple of wires going to the siren.
Is this the connector I should disconnect to disable the siren because it has green, blue, black, white and yellow cables going through a sheath underneath the battery box where presumably the siren is, there look to be too many wires for just a siren.!!.

·
Registered
56 Posts
check the hood latch or whatever it’s called. Sometimes it doesn’t close properly and can trigger an alarm on cars. At least that is a known problem on a highlander. And maybr the part is the same

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the hood (bonnet in uk ) idea but I had already found that the switch was not working and permanently open circuit - but this was not a problem because when the bonnet is closed the switch is supposed to be open circuit !!
I have simply removed the switch so the system thinks the bonnet is always closed.
Matty with the 1952 Vincent Comet motorcycle owned since 1956, which is simple and has few problems !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
If I just get out of the car without locking it from the fob the alarm is stable so It is ok to use but is parked unlocked.
If I lock the car on the fob 3 times to inhibit the cabin motion sensor system the alarm system does not go off - have checked the motion sensor and it sounds if I move inside the car after operating the lock fob button once so it does work as it should but may be over sensitive.
So I would like to turn down the sensitivity of the motion sensor but can not find the alarm deterrant unit to adjust the setting with the small red potentiometer on my UK registered 2003 which in the UK is fitted with a factory alarm system from new.
Have found some instructions on the forum but suspect these are for a left hand drive car and have not enabled me to find the adjuster or alarm module.
Have looked for the module behind the glove box and unable to locate it, so where is it please ?
Matty

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know for sure. Usually, the module is visible. There are a whole bunch of them. Can you send us a picture? When I had problems related to my factory alarm, I didn't want to start pulling the modules without knowing which one was right. Because with older cars, sometimes you touch one thing and end up with a whole new problem. So my BFF from Wye Security Solutions, the ultimate expert in cars, helped me solve the problem by going to the official representations, LOL. He said that it's better to let them figure out the problem and solve it rather than damaging the car more. So I can't tell for sure what they have done, but I don't have any other problem with the alarm anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts